Compilation on Tiger; how ?

Help
2006-01-15
2013-05-02
  • I used to use ext2fsx on paanther, it worked quite well for the few times I am booting on mac os X.

But to use it on Tiger, itlooks like I need to compile it myself, right ? I try to follow the builds instructions in build.rtf, but I didn't quite understand it: setup.sh is not necessary anymore, AFAIK, and  e2fsprogsbuild.sh did work. What next ? I tried to load the Xcode project, but the build failed.

I am using the CVS version, of course.

P.S: I don't know anything about Mac OS X programming, but I am quite proficient in C programming under linux

• I played a bit with Xcode, and now, I can compile some of the projects, but some other don't.

The kernel extension has some errors: the file ext2_attrlist.c contains most of them. The errors are related to incomplete definition of structures and so on.

Does it mean that the kernel extentsion can be built yet ?

• attrlist.c is no longer needed on Tiger and it has been removed from the project file. If it's still in your cached copy, then you need to update from CVS.

The kernel extension currently builds, but it does not load (just tried this last night), so I have some things to fix and then sync up to CVS before it will load. As for actually working properly, that is still up in the air.

P.S., there are two XCode projects, the only one being used for Tiger is the one with the .xcodeproj extension. You will need XCode 2.2 to use this project.

P.P.S, the Build.rtf file has not been updated for TIger, so some things are wrong.

• han
      han
      2006-01-22

if you'd like 'us' out there to test something/anything please let 'us' know - as i assume it .shouldn't. mess up existing filesystems as the ext2fs underpinnings haven't changed?

-someone else

• "shouldn't. mess up existing filesystems as the ext2fs underpinnings haven't changed?"

You can't assume that. Any type of panic can corrupt a filesystem and enough has changed that panics could be quite common. Also, some of the system interfaces (where we get/put data) have changed and those changes could lead to data corruption.

If you are not comfortable building the software yourself and then debugging it in the kernel, then there is nothing currently usable.

P.S. The kext is now loading/unloading, but I've gotten no further (ie mounting, reading).

• I understand what it is like to have a "real" job and family so I don't want to add to your pressure.  I am willing to help if I can at all, I am a fairly experienced Linux developer with some XCode experience.

Is there anything I could do to help?  I don't have a lot of time either but having this driver work under Tiger would be a big help to me in my "real" job too.

David Smoot
      firstnamelastname@gmail.com

• Josh
        Josh
        2006-02-02

Having this work on Tiger would be a huge help to me too. I am also very busy but if there's anything I can do to help let me know (I'm a computer science major at Brown).

• Right now, any help in testing what is in CVS would be helpful. I got mount working this past weekend (just mount, not reading the root dir or even unmount) and plan on doing some more work this weekend.

So if you can build the kext and then debug it that would be great.

Right now, I'm shooting for Read-Only for the first binary release.

• Tim Ringenbach
      Tim Ringenbach
      2006-02-03

I should be able to help you test, and possibly help with some code. Email me at my sf alias.

• The latest code is in CVS HEAD, so just download and have at it.

• I managed to build it without any hack for the first time this WE (fresh CVS). I had to use some hacks to build the dmg file, and the resulting driver crashes my mac whenever I mount a partition. But I guess this is not interesting for you (it may be interesting for other people who try to build).

David

• It's not interesting to me only because I was expecting it to happen. But this is how things work. You test and fix, then rinse and repeat until it "works for me".

Progress is (slowly) being made.