Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

can't load kernel extension

Help
2007-09-29
2013-05-02
  • Any suggestions?

<pre>$ sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/ext2fs.kext 2>&1 | tee kext.log </pre>

kext.log:
    <pre>
    kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/ext2fs.kext appears to be valid
    kld(): Undefined symbols:
    __FREE
    __FREE_ZONE
    __MALLOC
    _allocbuf
    _bawrite
    _bdwrite
    <i>[...snip lots of symbols...]</i>
    _vrele
    _vttoif_tab
    _wakeup
    kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/ext2fs.kext/Contents/MacOS/ext2fs
    kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/ext2fs.kext
    load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/ext2fs.kext
    (run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)
    </pre>

• Dirk Tilger
      Dirk Tilger
      2007-10-01

What is your objective? If it's just using an ext2fs, then you should be fine by just installing the package. That did it for me. You may need a restart, though.

• My objective is to try out linux on an ipaq, booting from an SD card.  The kernel pre-built for my device doesn't grok ffs (at least, not the modified ffs apple calls "unix file system") and according to the docs, it won't run from fat, so that leaves ext2.  I've rebooted since installing.

The kext in my OP attempts to load when I attempt to mount the fs.  mke2fs seems to have worked perfectly, but then I need to get the distribution tarball onto the fs.  Which means mount it, or find an image I could dd onto the card w/o mounting... but I don't believe such an image is available.

Since this is a one-shot usage for me, I will probably just burn a livecd and set the card up in linux, whenever I get around to buying more CD blanks.