unable mount due to "unsupported features"

Help
2006-04-09
2013-05-02
  • William Nolan
    William Nolan
    2006-04-09

I installed Ext2FS_1.4d2, and I'm running 10.4.6.

When I try mount_ext2 as root, I get the following:

/sbin/mount_ext2 -x /dev/disk1s2 /mnt/linux
    mount_ext2: /dev/disk1s2 on /mnt/linux: Invalid argument

Log file in /var/log/system.log gives:

Apr  9 17:10:48 william-nolans-computer kernel[0]: ext2fs: reading superblock from block 2, with size 1024 and offset 0
    Apr  9 17:10:48 william-nolans-computer kernel[0]: EXT2 WARNING: mount of unknown denied due to unsupported optional features (00000004)
    Apr  9 17:10:48 william-nolans-computer kernel[0]: EXT2-fs DEBUG (/Users/brian/Projects/Sourceforge/ext2tiger/src/gnu/ext2fs/ext2_vfsops.c, 468): ext2_check_sb_compat:Returning Error! (1)
    Apr  9 17:10:48 william-nolans-computer kernel[0]: EXT2-fs DEBUG (/Users/brian/Projects/Sourceforge/ext2tiger/src/gnu/ext2fs/ext2_vfsops.c, 950): ext2_mountfs:Returning Error! (22)
    Apr  9 17:10:48 william-nolans-computer kernel[0]: EXT2-fs DEBUG (/Users/brian/Projects/Sourceforge/ext2tiger/src/gnu/ext2fs/ext2_vfsops.c, 368): ext2_mount:Returning Error! (22)

What documentation I've read of ext2 seems to suggest there's a flag in the superblock for incompatible features.  I checked ext2_vfsops.c in CVS for the error, and verified it was generating an error if there was a non-zero value for this flag.

I'm pretty sure I have a standard ext3 fs, since I only ever used 2.4 RH 9 with it.  It may be that the flag got set to force an fsck by Linux before I tried to mount it on my Mac?  I know that's stretching :-).

Would anyone suggest trying to use debugfs to clear the flag?  Has anyone had any experience with that?

Thanks,
    Will

• #define EXT3_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_RECOVER        0x0004

From http://www.charmed.com/txt/ext2.txt:
      The ext3 RECOVER flag is needed to prevent a kernel which does not understand the ext3 journal from mounting the filesystem without replaying the journal.

I'd say run e2fsck which will replay the journal and hopefully clear the flag.

• William Nolan
        William Nolan
        2006-04-11

Thanks for the tip, I will try that out.  By the way -- great work on this project so far!  Thanks for putting in all the time, definitely appreciated.

• William Nolan
        William Nolan
        2006-04-12

That did the trick!

I ran an fsck on the drive and it replayed the journal, after which I was able to mount the drive and copy the necessary data off it.

This worked perfectly.  Thanks again for your work on this project, much appreciated!