Ext2Fsd 0.31a wants to format drive

Ext2Fsd
2007-04-22
2013-04-09
  • I have a dual boot system with both Vista and Ubuntu Linux.  Installed Ext2Fsd 0.31a under Vista so I could access my Ubuntu filesystem.  Assigned a (new) drive letter U: to the Ubuntu ext3 partition. Could see U: in Vista's explorer, but any attempt to access U: immediately gives the message "must format the drive". 

Why?  This does not seem correct -- I cancelled out immediately.  What is going on here?

I had earlier tried to use Ext2IFS to do this, but it refuses to install under Vista (I use it just fine on Win2K).
    Thanks in advance,
    Jay (jay-1941-@hotmail. com -- remove dashes for correct address)

• I've got the exact same problem...

• oot em

Ext2, partition 1 or 2 on external USB enclosure.

• Maybe you should see what does this too they suggest on Ext2IFS do: http://www.fs-driver.org/download/mountdiag.exe. Even thought it's not the same software, it's the same problem, and may be worth a try.

• The dirver might not be loaded. Try 'net start ext2fsd' though if that's the problem you might consider setting 'HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ext2fsd\Start' to '0x1' or '0x2'.

• Matt Wu
      Matt Wu
      2007-12-05

That says that you didn't start your dirver. You can execute "net start ext2fsd" in a cmd shell or use ext2mgr's "service management".