Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Windows Vista 64-Bit

Ext2Fsd
2007-01-23
2013-04-09
  • Hi folks,

great work on the driver. My Vista says it isnt signed though. Are you planning to solve this problem in the near future? As far as i know, money has to be spent in the process. So i thought it unlikely, that the driver will ever be available for Windows Vista 64-Bit. I hope, i am not right. Am I?

• Rest assured, You are not right! ;)

Not totally anyway. I am also running vista 64 bit, and although I am not 100% set up, I think I am close.

The documentation for the latest version shows you how to add a certificate for Ext2Fsd driver, and how to place vista in Test mode to allow it to use drivers that have not been signed by Microsoft.

One big problem the documentation mentions that I hope will be fixed soon is that the program doesn't remember drive mappings between reboots. Because of this the drives can't be used much, as you have to set up mappings or shares each time you reboot.

Using the application I can map my EXT3 drives and see them in dos when I open a command prompt as administrator. From that command prompt I can open windows explorer to look at the new drive, using

c:\> m:
      m:\> c:\windows\explorer.exe .

where m is the letter I have mapped to the EXT3 drive.

I can then see the drive, and navigate it OK, but only from the explorer opened from the dos prompt ran as administrator.

When I try a normal explorer the drive is not visible.

I think it is permission problems, but as a vista newbie I don't know how to beat it.

Anyone got any hints?

Thanks,
      Dean.

• Hi,

On a Windows Vista 32bits, i have the same pb... I search for this and I'll tell you in this forum if i found a solution

• Matt Wu
      Matt Wu
      2007-12-03

On Vista systems, the better way to assign a driver letter is to modify registry (the 3rd method of Ext2Mgr). It need a system reboot to take into effect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Q) What's a permanent mount point ?

A) Windows system's mount manager will automatically mount volumes and
         assign driver letters during booting. For xp and later systems, windows
         only create unique volume ids for all the recognized volume/partitions,
         such as FAT32, NTFS. The ext2/ext3 volumes could not be mounted by the
         windows mount manager.

Ext2Mgr provides 3 methods to mount a Linux volume:

1, Using Windows API DefineDosDevice
            Driver letter won't be kept and be lost after reboot

2, Using Windows MountMgr
            This mothod could not work at all environment, but worth a try

3, Using registry to store the driver letter as a DosDevice
            This method always works but it need a system restart to take effect
            you could also modify the registry manually, see below

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices]
            "X:"="\\Device\\HarddiskVolume1"