Performance issues with large drive (ext3)

Ext2Fsd
Hellkeepa
2009-06-01
2013-04-09
  • Hellkeepa
    Hellkeepa
    2009-06-01

HELLo!

I've tried both this and the Ext2 IFS drivers, and experienced rather big performance issues with both. This is especially true on a "big" drive (200+ GB) that is nearing full capacity.
    Right now I've got a 750 GB Seagate Barracuda 7.2 drive, formatted as EXT3, with a total (usable) size of 659 GiB and with only 39,6 GiB available. Whenever I try to perform any type of read and/or write-operation I only seem to get about 2 MiB/sec transfer speeds, and the hardware interrupts claim an entire core on my CPU (AMD Athlon X2 5600+)
    This causes _everything_ to move/load very slowly, and in fact even make Winamp stutter while playing MP3s from any EXT-formatted partition while any (other) EXT-formatted partition is being read/written to.

Needless to say, performance in Linux is right on par, with no such issues as explained above. What can be done, to improve the efficiency in Windows?
    Let me know if you need more detailed info, and I'll be happy to provide it.

Happy codin'!

• Hellkeepa
      Hellkeepa
      2009-08-25

HELLo!

Are there really no-one that can help me, or at least give me a tip on where to look?

Happy codin'!

• Hellkeepa
      Hellkeepa
      2009-08-25

HELLo!

Are there really no-one that can help me, or at least give me a tip on where to look?

Happy codin'!

• yarienavoir
    yarienavoir
    2009-09-23

I have a 500 GB WD external USB drive with #1 FAT 32 30 GB and # 2 EXT3 460 GB and I'm able to play HD video under windows7 or XP. So performance are quiet good and not so different than with the FAT32 which is limited to 4GB per file

• Hellkeepa
    Hellkeepa
    2009-11-29

HELLo!

What happens when you add about 300-400 GB of data on the drive? Still see the same performance, or do you too register the performance issues?

Happy codin'!