Mount Problem - Need help!

Ext2Fsd
2006-05-27
2013-04-09
  • OK - I downloaded and installed 0.25 OK.  (Would like to have used 0.26, but the file/folder structure is confusing, so went for the safer alternative.) 

The ext2fsd service is running.  I can mount the disk to a letter (F:) and it shows up in Windows Explorer.  But on attempting to access the disk at command prompt (e.g. DIR F:), I get "A device attached to the system is not functioning."  Attempting to open F: in Windows Explorer yields "The disk in drive F is not formatted.  Do you want to format it now?"

Interestingly, I can format F: with mke2fs.exe, but it does not change the above results. 

The disk is SATA, 250GB, on the fourth SATA channel.  Windows IDs it as Disk 3.  It has only one partition, which I assume is partition 0 (other partition numbers do not result in a successful mount, so I'm pretty confident about that).

Is there a size limitation?  Or SATA limitations?  Any ideas?

JohnC.

• Similiar errors with usb hdd.
      Only /boot partition is read ok, others (big and small) mount but can't be read.

• OMG, there were 3 partitions, i used mount 4 2 x: for third,... with mount 4 3 x: everything works =)

• I'm having a similar issue. USB drive, 120gb. I can read /boot, but nothing else. The filesystem is showing up as "Raw". Any suggestions?

• Same here. Got Ext2Fsd-0.31a.exe (don't know what these other packages are for (i.e. Ext2Fsr, etc)). Installed it under XP. Plugged in my USB-stick and started the Volume Manager. The USB-stick has two partitions: First partition (here sdb1) is FAT32, the second one (sdb2) is Ext2. In addition the HDD of my PC is paritioned like this: sda1 = NTFS, sda2 = Ext3, sda3 = Linux swap.

What is interesting:
      In the Volume Manager the two Linux partitions of my HDD are listed this way:

Type | File System | Total size | Used size | Codepage | Partition Entry
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Basic| EXT3        | foo GB     | bar GB    |          | Linux
      Basic| RAW         | foo GB     | bar GB    |          | Linux swap

But the two partitions of my USB-stick are listed that way:

Type | File System | Total size | Used size | Codepage | Partition Entry
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Basic| FAT         | foo GB     | bar GB    |          | FAT32
      Basic|             |            |           |          | Linux

Note the empty cells of the USB-stick Ext2 partition. I can assign a drive letter to sdb2, but get this "... not formatted ..." message by Windows when trying to access the Ext2 partition.

If I now partition the USB-stick with only one partition (sdb1 = Ext2), everything works as expected (i.e.: I can mount this partition with the Volume Manager and can access it).

Hope that helps

• well just my 2 cents.. Windows XP can ONLY see ONE partition on removable USB sticks... It is just a limitation ofhte windows driver. So, without changing the driver (can be done, but then? you'll need to change it every time you mount your USB pen on another machine), you cannot have more than one partition active on the USB pen.
      Under Linux everything works fine (with as many partition as you like).

Say thanks to Bill Gates' programmers

BEWARE! Do not try to delete or play with multiple partitions on the USB stick using Windows disk manager as there is a serious risk that all partitions will be deleted even when you think you're deleting just the extra ones. If you want to get puzzled a bit more jut chek volume info. Sometimes it reports as volume size the entire size of the stick even if the actual partition spans less of it..!

Enjoy.. hope it helps!

Matt (matleo2002@hotmail.com)

• Matt Wu
      Matt Wu
      2007-12-05

matleo2002 answers the questions. see this link please:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101626/en-us

Windows NT supports removable media subject to the following restrictions:
      •    A removable hard disk can have only one primary partition. Extended or logical partitions are not supported.
      •    Windows NT supports only the Windows NT filesystem (NTFS) and MS-DOS-compatible (FAT) file system on removable media.
      •    The user cannot assign the drive letter for the device.
      •    Removable disks are not supported in a fault tolerant manner.
      •    You can install the Windows NT system files (the files contained in the WINNT directory) on a removable disk. However, the NT boot files, such as NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM, must be on the hard disk drive (fixed disk).
      •    If the paging file is located on the device or if the device has the NTFS installed, the media is locked until the system is shutdown.
      •    The FAT file system locks the media while it is in use and unlocks it after approximately 10 seconds of inactivity. NOTE: Windows NT supports a 20.8MB "floptical" disk as a floppy disk, not as a hard disk. Each write to a floppy disk is performed on a write-through cache basis and you can remove a floppy disk as long as the drive light is not on.

In future plan of Ext2Fsd development, a volume manager dirver is to be implemented to support LVM, then this problem could also be solved too. But I cannot be sure when it could come :)