#451 wrong bug description (and fix) for #1690883

Not a Bug
closed-rejected
Karl Waclawek
5
2009-01-18
2007-09-17
flow67
No

Changes file for release 2.0.1 incorrectly reports

- Fixed bug #1690883: Expat failed on EBCDIC systems as it assumed some character constants to be ASCII encoded.

Unfortunately bug 1690883 is not related to EBCDIC encoding (as we've just found out on our z/OS system) but , according to the bug database ,

[ 1690883 ] Expat rejects xml: prefix with "unbound prefix" error

2.0.1 is still not working on EBCDIC systems (initial <? is not recognised if coded in EBCDIC)

Thanks

Discussion

  • Karl Waclawek
    Karl Waclawek
    2007-09-18

    Logged In: YES
    user_id=290026
    Originator: NO

    The original fix was contributed by Scott Klement, and it certainly was a valid fix for Expat, even if it doesn't fix your issue. However if fixed the issue for Scott. Since we don't have access to an EBCDIC platform, we cannot really address this issue from our side, we will have to rely on contributors like Scott. Would yu please contact him (just click on the link by his name on the original bug report) and maybe you two could figure it out together.

    Thanks,

    Karl

     
  • Karl Waclawek
    Karl Waclawek
    2007-09-18

    • assigned_to: fdrake --> kwaclaw
     
  • Karl Waclawek
    Karl Waclawek
    2009-01-18

    I did not notice at first that your issue is actually with Expat not parsing documents encoded in EBCDIC. The original issue was with Expat not properly building on EBCDIC systems, and this was fixed.

    Parsing EBCDIC encoded documents has never been a goal for Expat, as it is not required by the standard. However, we have a standalone patch (#987903) which you might be able to adapt to your needs.

    Closing this issue.

     
  • Karl Waclawek
    Karl Waclawek
    2009-01-18

    • milestone: 103319 --> Not a Bug
    • status: open --> closed-rejected