From: Wolfgang Meier <meier@if...> - 2003-11-25 16:36:10
I just checked in my recent changes, which add support for some more
XQuery/XPath functions, for example, fn:matches, fn:tokenize, fn:exists...
Due to the updated Cocoon, several new problems with xalan, xerces and Cocoon
showed up and I tried to fix these.
Also, all dependencies on the fastutil library have been removed. fastutil
provided hashtables and trees for native Java types. Unfortunately, fastutil
was distributed in one, very large jar and used the C pre-processor to
generate type specific code. Thanks to the help of my collegue, Stephan, we
have been able to replace fastutil by our own simple hashtable package. The
database may use some hashtables many thousand times a second, so having
control over memory consumption, object removal and the like is quite
Finally, the database now automatically determines default buffer sizes for
each of the internal caches, so specifying buffer sizes in conf.xml is no
longer necessary. Instead, you just define the maximum (raw) amount of memory
to be shared by all caches. A typical entry thus looks like this:
<db-connection database="native" files="webapp/WEB-INF/data"
pageSize="4096" cacheSize="64M" free_mem_min="10">
cacheSize specifies the maximum raw amount of memory used if all caches are
full (which is quite unlikely for most applications). However, the
calculation assumes that each page consumes pageSize bytes. In reality, you
have to add some bytes for Java object instance fields and things like that.
As before, it is still possible to specify larger buffer sizes for selected
caches, for example, to enlarge the cache for the fulltext index.
There's also a new snapshot release, available at
Darmstadt University of Technology
Tel.: +49 (0) 06151 16 4458