Is eXe still an active project?

Anonymous
2010-03-12
2013-04-15

• Anonymous
    2010-03-12

What is the status of the exe learning project? Is it still being actively developed? Are there future plans?

• Jim Tittsler
    Jim Tittsler
    2010-03-14

eXe is not being actively developed any longer.  I still fix the occasional bug or get it working on updated operating systems, but have no plans for any major further work.

Some of us that were part of eXe now spend a lot of time working on WikiEducator which implements the eXe iDevice scheme and has the advantage of allowing easy collaboration between teachers around the world.  It is easy to reuse the resources either in simple web pages or package them for use in an LMS.  The major disadvantage it has compared to eXe is that it doesn't currently support an offline mode, although you can edit resources in OpenOffice and export it in mediawiki format.

• david farning
    david farning
    2010-07-29

Would you be interested in someone picking this project up?  There are many projects still using EXE as an authoring tool to develop content.

• brent simpson
    brent simpson
    2010-07-29

I would be fine with someone picking the project up and actively encourage it. There are some good docs still at: http://exelearning.org/wiki but I think since we migrated from our previous wiki to Trak you need to search a bit to find them.

• david farning
    david farning
    2010-07-29

Could you share more about why the development team shifted directions?

I am interested in EXE because many olpc deployments, as individual, started using it.  When so many similar organizations pick up a project like EXE, it must be best of breed:)  I will likely have my company, ActivityCentral.com , start supporting and developing EXE in cooperation with several deployments and organizations interested in pursuing structured content.

My questions are about my development stopped on the project.  Did the funding run out? Did the developers all move onto a different project?  Is there something wrong with the code base which will make it difficult to move forward?

thanks
    david farning.
    Activity Central

• brent simpson
    brent simpson
    2010-07-29

David: basically the funding ran out. eXe was supported / funded by the Tertiary Education Commission of New Zealand for 2 years and after that funding source expired we were unsuccessful in locating any more. Development periodically went to another organisation called Core-Ed but not sure that they had much funding for development and most developers by that time had moved on to other jobs / projects. I'm not the best to comment on the code base; hopefully Jim will comment on this as he was the most active developer. I'd be really happy for someone to pick it up and do some work on it as its still quite a used tool in many countries.

• david farning
    david farning
    2010-07-29

Thanks Brent,

The fact the project slow because of lack of funding is sad… but gives me hope that it can be revived.  I'll wait until I hear more from Jim.

thanks

• Dave Dixon
    Dave Dixon
    2010-08-23

The fact that part of the English language user manual on WikiEducator is now available only in Portuguese is a little disturbing. It's one thing for the project to be stagnant, it's another for it to be loosing ground. I'd be willing to help with development if someone's going to start herding the cats :)

• Jim Tittsler
    Jim Tittsler
    2010-08-23

Thanks for the report.  The English manual was still available in the history, but it did take a couple of extra clicks to get there.  I've moved the Portuguese version down to a subpage so they are both readily available.

• Anonymous
    2010-09-16

The fact that this is no longer a funded project has been a blow to the Institution that I work for.  We have recently adopted eXe into our online learning strategy and have started the rollout and training to staff… It would be great to know if there is anyone who has expressed interest in, or actually taken over, the eXe project.  Is there any hope of that happening at all.  How long will patches and maintenance be applied to the app if it is not adopted by new developers?  It is a great application that we want to continue using.

• Benz1
    Benz1
    2010-09-29

Was recommended eXe to create content for use with Moodle for an NZ organisation and was excited to find it's an NZ project. The excitement was short lived after finding this thread :-(

Is it worth starting with eXe now or would you suggest using an alternate application (and can you suggest any)?

Thanks,
    Benz1 

• skython
    skython
    2010-10-01

I'm currently working on eXe in terms of a study project and later for my bachelor thesis.
    For that I made a fork of eXe on github http://github.com/skython/eXe
    In the next months I'm going to make some changes to the code like updating libraries and pushing the code more towards python3
    The thesis will be about integrating eXe into our own eStudy project which is developed by our Univerity, the University of Applied Sciences in Giessen (Germany). The integrating stuff will probably done in a branch so the main master branch should still be clean and hopefully more up-to-date when I'm done about spring/summer 2011.

Currently i'm working on a code and state analysis which you can track at the wiki of the github project.

• Mike Dawson
    Mike Dawson
    2010-11-03

Hi,

I've used EXE as the core of our work for creating interactive content in Afghanistan - I think made about 7+ additional idevices - has been tricky to get the time to merge code / tidy up - one can check out www.paiwastoon.af/eldep .  We made interactive versions of the Afghan science, maths and religious education curriculum.  I think exe is an absolutely fantastic tool - particularly being able to make content for offline usage is vital for content that is either quite heavy or needs to be used in the developing world where we don't all have 24/7 mobile broadband.  Also exporting to XHTML makes it fantastic for the upcoming generation of Google android tablets.

I am getting more developers in and I would definitely be interested in helping to sponsor / adopt the project.  I am going to have a new set of idevices out that will include a crossword generator, our sort, click / find, drag / drop, speed answer quiz, hangman, and timed reading  idevices.  All was done using HTML/Javascript generation.  Also added support for HTML5 media tags such as audio and video to make it easy to use these new open standards in content.

The next main thing I am planning to work on is a system to use the new HTML5 local storage system to allow offline exported content to store score information and report this back to moodle - so that students can go out and then when they reconnect transmit results.

I know I still need to get the work done into a patch format though…  In the next few weeks when I get new developers in I think we could deal with most maintenance issues.

Regards,

-Mike

• Anonymous
    2011-09-09

Take a ook at this :-)

https://forja.cenatic.es/projects/iteexe/

So long

Ismail

• manfr
    manfr
    2011-09-20

At 2011-12-01 there will be a meeting on the Online Educa in Berlin in order to discuss posibilities for further developement of eXe.

Details can be found at http://tinyurl.com/exe-development

Regards,

Manfred

• brent simpson
    brent simpson
    2011-09-20

Manfred: That is great news. It seems if someone could pull together a concrete place and roadmap for development to continue there are a few people out there who would still contribute to the project. I'd be willing to work on creating more themes, etc. if there was motivation to do so. Can't bet at the meeting but would be keen to hear the outcome.

Brent.

• Anonymous
    2011-12-01

And we will be there with our developmenets already made, to share them with all of you.

forja.cenatic.es/frs/?group_id=197

See you soon

Ismail Ali Gago
    Head of e-Learning Department and Web Content
    CeDeC Vocal
    Instituto de Tecnologías Educativas.
    Spanish Ministry of Education.
    http://www.ite.educacion.es
    http://cedec.ite.educacion.es

• david farning
    david farning
    2011-12-30

thanks for the update. Will the development continue to be hosted sourceforge or move to cenatic ?