From: Kevin Corry <kevcorry@us...> - 2003-06-30 20:53:22
The EVMS team is announcing the next major release of the Enterprise Volume
Management System. Package 2.1.0 is now available for download at the project
This release is for the new EVMS design, which is based on user-space volume
discovery and communication with existing kernel drivers, such as
MD/Software-RAID and Device-Mapper.
Please see the INSTALL file in the 2.1.0 package for information about
installing and getting started with the new EVMS. Since this new design is
based on user-space discovery, there will no longer be boot-time volume
activation. Please see the INSTALL file for information about how to activate
your volumes using the EVMS user-interfaces and utilities. The INSTALL file
also contains instructions for how users may easily "upgrade" an existing 2.4
kernel with Device-Mapper and EVMS 2.0.1 patches.
Please see the README file in the 2.1.0 package for more detailed notes
concerning this release and it's new features.
EVMS 2.1.0 is supported on 2.4.21, 2.4.20, 2.4.19, and 2.5.73 kernels.
If you have any questions, find any bugs, or simply want to report success
stories, please send email to the EVMS mailing list (evms-devel@...)
or visit the EVMS IRC channel (irc.freenode.net, #evms).
- Second major release of the new EVMS design
- New Features
- RSCT plugin - allow EVMS to operate in RSCT clusters.
- Reset - reset a snapshot volume without needing to
delete and recreate the snapshot.
- Rollback - copy the saved contents of the snapshot back to the origin.
- RAID-1 reconfigure
- RAID-1 resize
- RAID-Linear resize
- New Multipath plugin
- When saving changes, add a "Details" button to display the list of
items that have changes to save.
- Macintosh Segment Manager - recognize Macintosh-native disk partitions.
- Bug Fixes
- Allow the engine to open if the lock-file cannot be created and the
filesystem is read-only.
- Fix problems with using O_DIRECT on 2.4 kernels.
- Improvements to the HA plugin due to fixes in Linux-HA.
- Better support for discovering disks on systems using devfs.
- Remove evms_deactivate as a UI utility. This program should only be
used for testing.