From: Kevin Corry <kevcorry@us...> - 2003-05-02 21:12:15
The EVMS team is announcing the first bug-fix release in the Enterprise Volume
Management System 2.0 series. Package 2.0.1 is now available for download at
the project web site:
This release is for the new EVMS design, which is based on user-space volume
discovery and communication with existing kernel drivers, such as
MD/Software-RAID and Device-Mapper.
Please see the INSTALL file in the 2.0.1 package for information about
installing and getting started with the new EVMS. Since this new design is
based on user-space discovery, there will no longer be boot-time volume
activation. Please see the INSTALL file for information about how to activate
your volumes using the EVMS user-interfaces and utilities. The INSTALL file
also contains instructions for how users may easily "upgrade" an existing 2.4
kernel with Device-Mapper and EVMS 2.0.0 patches.
Please see the README file in the 2.0.1 package for more detailed notes
concerning this release.
EVMS 2.0.1 is supported on 2.4.20, 2.4.19, and 2.5.68 kernels.
If you have any questions, find any bugs, or simply want to report success
stories, please send email to the EVMS mailing list (evms-devel@...)
or visit the EVMS IRC channel (irc.freenode.net, #evms).
- First bug-fix release for 2.0
- Core Engine
- Attempt to load Device-Mapper kernel module if not present.
- Prevent error messages from modprobe when trying to check for the
EVMS 1.2 kernel driver by checking for the /proc/evms directory first.
- Several minor fixes in the cluster-segment-manager.
- GUI and Text-Mode
- Add command to mount volumes from the EVMS UIs.
- Disk Manager
- Accepts "*" and "?" wild cards and bracket notation ("[...]") when
specifying block devices in evms.conf.
- Combine the 2.4-kernel and 2.5-kernel versions into a single plugin.
- New "Move-PV" interface to complement the "Move-Extent" interface.
- Fix bug with some migrating some setups from LVM1 directly to EVMS 2.0.
- Fix bug with activation of certain striped LVM regions.
- Fix bug with RAID-5 on BBR segments.
- Fix bug with loading the BBR kernel component as a module.
From: Kevin Corry <kevcorry@us...> - 2003-05-02 22:55:41
On Friday 02 May 2003 16:07, Kevin Corry wrote:
> The EVMS team is announcing the first bug-fix release in the Enterprise
> Volume Management System 2.0 series. Package 2.0.1 is now available for
> download at the project web site:
Along with the new 2.0.1 package, some new documentation is available on the
- An overview of the internal architecture of the EVMS engine.
- An overview of the approach to clustering support.
- A list of some of the major features EVMS will be working on for future