esperanto 1900 numbers

wellington
2007-10-26
2013-06-12
  • wellington
    wellington
    2007-10-26

I downloaded the program 3 days ago. While testing the numbers I noticed that the numbers from 1000 to 1899 are ok, but 1900 to 1999 is spelled "dek naux cent..." and the correct is "mil nauxcent..." . I think this is a bug.

Wellington
    Boa Vista - Roraima - Brasil

• In the English voice, 1900 to 1999 are spoken as dates.  For example 1984 are spoken as "nineteen eighty four".  This is OK for English, but perhaps not for Esperanto.  I'll change it to "mil nauxcent...".

I have a question about Roman numbers.  The English voice speaks numbers such as "xii" as "Roman twelve".  How should this be spoken in Portuguese and Esperanto?  Should it include a word which means "Roman"?

• wellington
      wellington
      2007-10-28

very complex issue... in portuguese, for names of kings, we use from 1 to 9 (I to IX) john I: john first (joão primeiro), john II (joão segundo), ..., john IX (joão nono), john X (joão dez), john XI (joão onze) and so on... for example the french king "Luís XV" (I don´t know his name in french!) we pronounce "Luís quinze".
      In law we have, for example: in portuguese, articles (written art. 1º, art. 2º,..., art.9º, we pronounce "artigo primeiro, artigo segundo, artigo terceiro, ..., artigo nono" BUT art.10 -> artigo dez, art. 11, artigo 11... the subtitles, called in portuguese "incisos" are written in roman, following the same rule: inciso I -> inciso primeiro, inciso II -> inciso segundo,..., inciso IX -> inciso nono. BUT inciso X -> inciso dez, inciso XI -> inciso onze and so on...
      names of years, in portuguese, for example 1951 - > MMCLI is pronounced "mil novecentos e cinquenta e um" like another number.
      In Esperanto I´ll post something for you soon.

• wellington
    wellington
    2012-10-30

5 years later, here I am! Better late than never!
    The question about roman numbers,the answer is easy: for instance, "louis X", in esperanto is written "ludoviko la 10-a", "Henriko la 1-a" and is read "ludoviko la deka", "Henriko la unua" and so on… always the formula for the name in Esperanto is  name+la K-a, where K is a number…
    but if someone writes "ludoviko II" espeak must talk "Ludoviko la dua", my version is talking "ludoviko du"…

• > but if someone writes "ludoviko II" espeak must talk "Ludoviko la dua", my version is talking "ludoviko du"…

Is this ALWAYS the case for all uses of Roman numbers, not only when used with kings?

It may be safer for eSpeak to say (the equivalent of) "Roman 2", which it does with the English voice.  This explicitly states that a Roman-number was written in the text.