Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

FieldTrip

Help
2012-06-15
2013-02-26
  • I'm having trouble with getting this warning message when having started up ep from the matlab prompt:

Warning: You appear to be using the version of Fieldtrip that comes with EEGlab (in its external directory).
    It is recommended that you delete it and download the current version of FieldTrip.
    See tutorial file for details.

I have downloaded and added the latest version of FieldTrip, deleted the old one, updated the path and cache but I still get the same warning message when starting ep.. Does anyone know how to solve this?

• Joe Dien
    Joe Dien
    2012-06-16

Did you also delete the version of FieldTrip that is located in the external directory of EEGlab?

• Joe Dien
    Joe Dien
    2012-06-16

In order to be helpful, I'm revising the warning text to be clearer in the next update:

Warning: You appear to be using the version of Fieldtrip that comes with EEGlab (in its external directory).
    If you rely on it alone, it will tend to be an obsolete version, with unpatched bugs causing problems.
    If you have both a current version of FieldTrip installed and the older version that comes with EEGlab, then they tend to conflict and cause problems.
    It is recommended that you delete EEGlab''s copy and instead rely on just having the most recent version of FieldTrip installed separately.

• This is the mysterious thing, I have deleted the old file.. The new one is also included in the pathdef.m. Can this be due to something else? Do I need to place the (new) file somewhere else?

• Just to be sure, I downloaded an even newer version of FieldTrip (20120618) and replaced the previous version (20120613) with the newer one. As a result of this, I get a new error message:

Warning: You appear to be using the version of binica that comes with Fieldtrip (in its external directory).
    It is recommended that you delete it and download the current version of EEGlab.

I'm somewhat confused about this.. As I have understood it, eeglab comes with Fieldtrip so I guess this (20120618) version should be the most up to date?

• Joe Dien
    Joe Dien
    2012-06-20

Sorry to be confusing you.  What you need to do is:
    1) delete or deactivate the copy of EEGlab that is in the external folder of FieldTrip (note, you can do this just by removing FieldTrip from the path, just adding the root directory, then running ft_defaults)
    2) delete or deactivate the copy of FieldTrip that is in the external folder of EEGlab.

Do not replace the copies that are in the external folders of either.

Does this make sense now?

• It does make sense now. Thank you!