Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Failed to connect to maven-erlang-plugin-back

Help
Anonymous
2011-04-15
2013-04-26

• Anonymous
    2011-04-15

Hi all,

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm unable to use this plugin due to troubles connecting to the erlang backend.  I'm getting the following error:

[DEBUG] Using command: erl
    [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [INFO] BUILD FAILURE
    [INFO] Total time: 7.306s
    [INFO] Finished at: Fri Apr 15 10:50:40 PDT 2011
    [INFO] Final Memory: 5M/81M
    [ERROR] Failed to execute goal eu.lindenbaum:maven-erlang-plugin:2.0.0:reload-dependencies (default-reload-dependencies) on project ActivityRepositoryR
    iakMapReduce: failed to connect to maven-erlang-plugin-backend after 10 retries: Cannot connect to peer node -> [Help 1]
    org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal eu.lindenbaum:maven-erlang-plugin:2.0.0:reload-dependencies (default-rel
    oad-dependencies) on project ActivityRepositoryRiakMapReduce: failed to connect to maven-erlang-plugin-backend after 10 retries: Cannot connect to peer node
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:217)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:153)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:145)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:84)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:59)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.singleThreadedBuild(LifecycleStarter.java:183)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:161)
            at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:319)
            at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:156)
            at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.execute(MavenCli.java:534)
            at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.doMain(MavenCli.java:196)
            at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:141)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
            at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:290)
            at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:230)
            at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:409)
            at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:352)
    Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: failed to connect to maven-erlang-plugin-backend after 10 retries: Cannot connect to peer node
            at eu.lindenbaum.maven.erlang.MavenSelf.connect(MavenSelf.java:109)
            at eu.lindenbaum.maven.erlang.MavenSelf.eval(MavenSelf.java:166)
            at eu.lindenbaum.maven.erlang.MavenSelf.exec(MavenSelf.java:127)
            at eu.lindenbaum.maven.mojo.app.DependencyLoader.execute(DependencyLoader.java:33)
            at eu.lindenbaum.maven.ErlangMojo.execute(ErlangMojo.java:133)
            at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:107)
            at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:209)
            ... 19 more

I'm performing a simple

mvn install

on a erlang-otp packaged project.

My environment is as follows:
    Apache Maven 3.0.2 (r1056850; 2011-01-08 16:58:10-0800)
    Java version: 1.6.0_24, vendor: Apple Inc.
    OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.6.7", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
    Erlang version:R14B02

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Anonymous
    2011-04-15

I should mention that I was able to get this working on the older 1.0.0-beta version of the plugin.

• Hi dimnone,

we have not officially fixed the plugin for Maven 3.x yet, so the 2.0.0 plugin-release works best with Maven2, even though it should not matter for backend node initialization and connection.

I am also using a Mac OS X 10.6.7 setup, but I've chosen to stay with Maven 2.2.1 for a little longer, meaning that I've compiled and re-installed the 2.2.1 version after the Apple update

I've done some tests with a couple of simple projects using Maven3 but I can't reproduce your problem.

I think it would help if you could describe your project setup a bit more, perhaps providing your POM for us to take a look.

Other things to try out and consider is how your hostname is resolved. The backend node is started using the "-name" parameter so it tries to use a fully qualified hostname as backend node name.

I hope this helps and please let us know how it goes.

• Hi,

compared to 1.0.0-beta the new version now uses jinterface and distributed erlang instead of
    calling

erl -eval

To me this sounds like a typical erlang vm name resolution problem. Did you already try distributed erlang on your machine (e.g. by connecting two shell nodes using net_kernerl:connect/1)? On some machines there's something weird going on when trying to connect to nodes started with short hostnames.

Switching to long names (e,g, @localhost.localdomain) for the default backend nodes could be a topic for a future plugin release.

• Anonymous
    2011-05-24

Hi all,

I know it's been a while since I posted this issue; I was working on another project and finally got a chance to revisit this.  Thanks to both of you for your responses.  With schlagert's hint about trying running a distributing erlang I was able to find the problem.  The .erlang.cookie in my home directory was owned by root and ultimately was causing a permissions issue.  i deleted this file and reran and the plugin ran just fine.

• Hi dimnone,

glad I could help.

We also know of other problems with backend node connectivity.  At least on some MacOS X hosts jinterface could not connect to the backend nodes. Version 2.1.0 will contain a patch that will force the backend nodes to be started with

erl -name node@IP

where the IP is read from one of the currently active network interfaces. The loopback device will be considered last. This should solve some of these problems.