A lot of things have been happening lately. Here's a list:
a.) We've moved to the development version of XSM, which has some nice new
features (for example adding metadata to certain objects, more about this
later) that the current Get-E.org is using.
b.) The frontpage has been redesigned; we now have a quick introduction
part, and then news after that. This is of course a question of opinion, but
I at least like the new look more (and it's hard to deny that the kanji
c.) There are new preview pictures (yes, they are a bit broken - will be
remade again soon) for all backgrounds, and the backgrounds have been split
into two sections: animated and static.
d.) As an aesthetic fix, all text is now on the right side next to the
preview image. This looks a lot cleaner and more professional than the
previous system. But to get the the actual point, every item now has various
metadata entries (licence, author etc) that are shown next to the preview
picture. We've started filling these, and we're mostly done already - some
things are missing though (for example we need to change all "GPL" words to
be actual links to the GPL licence itself).
e.) We now have an FAQ maintainer, as you already probably know - thanks to
onefang for volunteering. What it means is one more page is actively
maintained - activity wise we are doing very well right now.
All in all, everything is looking great and the infrastructure is more or
less ready. Content wise things are also looking good; while E17 themes are
still rare (the GANT theme was just updated though - even supports EFM!),
we've gotten lots of good background submissions lately. Everything on the
site is more or less up to date, but there are two problem areas:
1.) The modules section needs more metadata (currently we just have some
placeholders there) - can someone get me a list of who made which module
(and what the licence for them is), and what their email addresses are? I've
also talked to shadoi about him setting up a potential CVS server for module
authors - then we would not need to make accounts for all module authors
(this is for security reasons, as accounts that have access to that page can
replace any other tarball on the page).
2.) The user guide needs more love - this is not really a huge problem
though, as all the basic things are still correct, especially the stuff that
people usually read the guide for. There are many things to fix though, and
especially the new widget stuff is not mentioned. I personally think it's a
bad time to update it now, as E is moving very quickly these days; in a few
weeks I hope all this widget/EFM stuff will start to stabilize a bit. After
that happens, I'll try to fix the user guide (in particular, the
introduction section will be split into several sections).
That's it for now I guess. Last but not least, it looks like Get-E.org has
gotten a lot of hits lately: we're up to 4.2 million already this month
(last month was around ~3.5, and the tree months before that we're ~1-2
million). So it looks like there's definately growing public interest in all
(vrln on IRC)
PS: For the themers out there, I forgot to tell this in the previous report:
no need to theme external (as in not included in apps/e) modules at all - we
do not ship E17 themes in tarballs anymore, so all you need to do is one EDJ