Debian 2.6 kernel

Help
twipsta
2006-12-14
2013-04-03
  • twipsta
    twipsta
    2006-12-14

Hi, I'm trying to integrate a Debian 2.6.17-2-mac (Sid) kernel into an emile-rescue disk.

Some important info:
    Type:        PowerBook 520c
    Gestalt ID:  72
    CPU:         M68LC040
    RAM:         12MB
    HDD:         320MB
    Keyboard:    English/Japanese hybrid (Looks cool, but I can't understand Japanese lol)
    Main system: System 7.5.3

Now before you say anything, I am aware that there is a flaw in some of the 68LC040 chips that affects the mac, but I run SoftwareFPU with no problems in System 7, can play Doom 1 (tho very jumpy) and can get Space Cadet Pinball to run for the most part (Just after it's loaded everything the game bombs out to desktop). Both these games (AFAIK) require an FPU to run, and will fail to start unless SoftwareFPU is turned on. So I'm guessing that FPU emulation can be achieved with the 68LC040 that is in my old PB520c.

I grabbed the scsi and 68k boot files from the emile-tools package, grabbed the 2.6.17-2-mac kernel from http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/installer-m68k/current//images/kernels/ , gzipped the kernel and then updated the disk via the instructions in the HOWTO:
    twipsta@localhost # dd if=emile-rescue-0.10.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync
    2880+0 records in
    2880+0 records out
    1474560 bytes (1.5 MB) copied, 101.042 seconds, 14.6 kB/s
    twipsta@localhost # cp vmlinuz-2.6.17-2-mac vmlinuz.bin
    twipsta@localhost # gzip -9 vmlinuz.bin
    twipsta@localhost # ls vm*
    vmlinuz-2.6.17-2-mac  vmlinuz.bin.gz
    twipsta@localhost # ./emile-install -f first_floppy -s m68k-second_floppy -k vmlinuz.bin.gz /dev/fd0

As you can see all went well ... Until I chucked into the mac:
    ----------------------------------------
    EMILE v0.10 (c) 2004,2005 Laurent Vivier
    Available Memory: 12288 kB
    command @(ASCII code 0x01)
    Loading kernel  Not MC680x0 architecture

Cannot load and uncompress kernel image

-- System halted
    ----------------------------------------

That was typed from what the mac is saying right now. I couldn't figure out how to get the ascii character up. It's the hollow smiley face.

I have been playing around with Penguin alot also, but I can't seem to get the 520c to get far at all with the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels (Debian) but the 2.6 kernel actually manages to detect and load devices (SCSI, RamDisk, Trackpad driver, Network, etc), loads the right colour palette and even shows a colourful Tux-in-a-mac picture in the top left corner (so it's managed a frame-buffer too) but then turns off the 520c just after seeing 'RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0'

This (so far) is the furthest I've been able to get it.

I don't have many expectations getting linux running on this 'beast' but it would be extremely cool if I could.

Also, I noticed that in the screenshots section you have a PB520 booting up emile. How much success did you have getting everything running?

Any assistance with this would be a great help :)

P.S. Altho belated, congrats on you're 'New Project'. She looks a fine bit of coding :)

• Raylynn Knight
      Raylynn Knight
      2006-12-14

You'll need more memory.  You don't have enough to load and uncompress the kernel image.  You might be able to build a kernel which would load, uncompress and boot in the 12MB you have if you strip anything not needed for your system from the build.  My experience shows that 14MB is about the minimum for a 2.4.x based kernel and I believe the 2.6 kernel may need more.

• twipsta
      twipsta
      2006-12-15

Yer I kinda figured as much. Thanks for the fast reply too!

Unfortunatley I only have the one mac (am a Wintel Luser ;) but I've got a Gentoo distro on my main system (Multi boot Win2k3, Gentoo, Win98).

I'll have a try at rebuilding the kernel on the weekend. Hmmm building m68k code on an i686 box, looks like fun! :/
      Anyone know where I can pick up PB520 ram these days? Or a daughterboard with a full 68040 chip on it? Actually I'd love to be able to track down one of those old PPC upgrade boards, would be nuts! hehe

Anyways, I appreciate you're help and I'll keep ya posted.