Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Uninstalling?

Help
2004-11-04
2013-04-03
  • Grant Barrett
    Grant Barrett
    2004-11-04

I used the OS X package installer to install Emacros. I'm not happy with what Emacros is doing, mainly because it's got a problem with the levels of Lisp it's loading. I don't want to fiddle with my pre-existing setup in order to set it right, so I'd like to remove Emacros. However, even after deleting /usr/share/elisp/emacros, ~/User/myname/emacs ~/User/myname/.emacs, and ~/User/myname/.emacs.d, Emacs still tries to load Emacros on startup. I'm apparently missing something and I can't figure out what. If the package installer had an uninstall option (like it should) then this would be a non-issue. The web site and the docs do not have anything about removing, deleting, or uninstalling Emacros, either. And I see nothing in the docs about what is installed where, either. So, the question remains: How do I uninstall Emacros?

• Bruce Ingalls
      Bruce Ingalls
      2004-11-05

Hmm. This is not in manifest.html?
      Mac puts things in a different location. I'd like to work with you, to fix your problem, but there's not enough of a description to go by.
      If you know how to make Mac packages uninstallable, let me know. I've not had much luck with any.

You can uninstall EMacro by removing the site-start.el file in the site-lisp subdirectory under where you installed Emacs.

• Grant Barrett
        Grant Barrett
        2004-11-05

Thanks for the helpful information. The problem was this:

I am using a Carbon version of Emacs. Therefore, when Emacro ran, it installed the files inside the Emacs application (which is just a special type of directory that looks like a single file). So even the information on the Manifest page does have what installs where, it is not true for all systems. That, plus the fact that the file did not contain "emacro" in its name, made it impossible to find the file.

Fortunately, once you named the culprit, it was easy enough to control-click on the Emacs.app file, select "Show Package Contents," and delete the file.

My mistakes that lead to this problem were: Not using "locate" to find and delete all files listed on the Manifest page. Not deleting and reinstalling the Emacs.app file. 

Better behavior on Mac OS X would be to have Emacro ask where to install its files, or to put them in an Emacro directory in the user directory then add a load line to the .emacs file.

I do not know how to make a pkg installer for OS X also uinstall, having never created that type of installer. However, it should be a minor matter to include within the Emacro settings groups an option to disable or uninstall it, yes?