emacro fails to load

Help
2006-08-18
2013-04-03
  • I'm running Debian linux etch/testing, emacs21 21.4, emacro 2005-9

When I attempt to start emacs, I get an error message at the bottom on the emacs window stating;

Wrong type argument: sequencep, emacs21

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause
    of the error in your initialization file and remove it.  Start
    Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
    backtrace
    call-interactively: Text is read-only

When I comment out this item in my .emacs file, emacs starts with no problems;

(require 'e-macro)

Not sure how to correct this. I'm pretty sure I have followed the install instructions to a "T", but not really sure at this point in time.

(emacs)
    Loading disp-table...done
    Loading tool-bar...done
    Loading image...done
    Loading tooltip...done
    Loading 00debian-vars...done
    Loading 50a2ps (source)...
    Loading a2ps-print...done
    Loading 50a2ps (source)...done
    Loading 50dictionaries-common (source)...
    Loading debian-ispell...
    Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-default.el (source)...done
    Loading debian-ispell...done
    Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el (source)...done
    Loading 50dictionaries-common (source)...done
    Loading 50emacs-color-themes (source)...done
    Loading 50emacs-goodies-el (source)...done
    Loading 51debian-el (source)...done
    Loading cl-macs...done
    Loading mule-util...done
    Wrote /home/rodney/emacs/preferences/e-cache.el [2 times]
    Wrote /home/rodney/emacs/preferences/e-xcache.el [2 times]
    Wrote /home/rodney/emacs/preferences/e-cache.el
    Loading e-preload (source)...done
    Loading e-prefs (source)...done
    Wrote /home/rodney/emacs/preferences/e-cache.el [5 times]
    Loading diary-lib...done
    Wrote /home/rodney/emacs/preferences/e-cache.el [5 times]
    Loading jka-compr...done
    Wrote /home/rodney/emacs/preferences/e-cache.el [2 times]
    Loading cl-extra...done
    Wrote /home/rodney/emacs/preferences/e-cache.el [15 times]
    Loading /usr/lib/emacs/21.4/i486-linux-gnu/fns-21.4.1-x.el (source)...done
    Wrote /home/rodney/emacs/preferences/e-cache.el [22 times]
    Loading byte-opt...done

An error has occurred while loading `/home/rodney/.emacs':

Wrong type argument: sequencep, emacs21

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause
    of the error in your initialization file and remove it.  Start
    Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
    backtrace
    call-interactively: Text is read-only

this is the output of --debug-init;'

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument sequencep emacs21)
      concat("/" emacs21 "/site-lisp/")
      (string-match (concat "/" debian-emacs-flavor "/site-lisp/") path)
      (if (string-match (concat "/" debian-emacs-flavor "/site-lisp/") path) (replace-match "/emacs/site-lisp/" nil t path) path)
      (lambda (path) (if (string-match ... path) (replace-match "/emacs/site-lisp/" nil t path) path))("/home/rodney/emacs/packages/w3m")
      mapcar((lambda (path) (if (string-match ... path) (replace-match "/emacs/site-lisp/" nil t path) path)) ("/home/rodney/emacs/packages/w3m" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/tramp/lisp" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/tiny-tools/lisp/other" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/tiny-tools/lisp/tiny" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/" "/home/rodney/emacs/i18n" "/home/rodney/emacs/programmer" "/home/rodney/emacs/preferences" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/w3/contrib" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/w3/lisp" "/home/rodney/emacs/emacro/" "/home/rodney/emacs/" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/emacs-color-themes" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/a2ps" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/debian-el" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/dictionaries-common" "/etc/emacs21" "/etc/emacs" "/usr/local/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp" "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/a2ps" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/debian-el" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/dictionaries-common" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/emacs-color-themes" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/psgml" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/leim" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/toolbar" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/textmodes" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/progmodes" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/play" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/obsolete" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/net" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/mail" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/language" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/international" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/gnus" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/eshell" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/emulation" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/emacs-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/calendar" "/usr/share/elisp"))
      (setq find-function-source-path (mapcar (lambda ... ...) load-path))
      (progn (setq find-function-source-path (mapcar ... load-path)))
      (if (boundp (quote debian-emacs-flavor)) (progn (setq find-function-source-path ...)))
      (when (boundp (quote debian-emacs-flavor)) (setq find-function-source-path (mapcar ... load-path)))
      eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<4>> nil "e-linux" nil t)
      load-with-code-conversion("/home/rodney/emacs/emacro/e-linux.el" "e-linux" nil t)
      require(e-linux)
      (if cache-tinyload (setq tinyload-:load-list (append tinyload-:load-list ...)) (require arg))
      emacro-require(e-linux)
      (cond ((string-match "windows" ...) (emacro-require ...)) ((or ... ...) (emacro-require ...)) (t (emacro-require ...)))
      eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<3>> nil "e-config" nil t)
      load-with-code-conversion("/home/rodney/emacs/emacro/e-config.el" "e-config" nil t)
      require(e-config)
      eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<2>> nil "e-macro" nil t)
      load-with-code-conversion("/home/rodney/emacs/emacro/e-macro.el" "e-macro" nil t)
      require(e-macro)
      eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "~/.emacs" nil t)
      load-with-code-conversion("/home/rodney/.emacs" "~/.emacs" t t)
      load("~/.emacs" t t)
      #[nil "#…—    Æ=ƒ#Ç#ÈQ‚5    É=ƒ'ÊÇËÌ#ƒ#͂5΂5    Ï=ƒ1Ђ5Ç#ÑQ#Ò#Ó\n҉#ˆ#Ò=ƒFË##ƒˆÔ#!՚ƒˆÖ#!‰#×P#Ø
    !ƒd
    ‚oØ\f!ƒn\f‚oˉ#ƒ‡Ù\f#\&quot;ƒ…ÚÛ\f##ˆÜÝ!ˆ\f#*##†–Ë# ÓÞ҉#))‡" [init-file-user system-type user-init-file-1 user-init-file source alt ms-dos "~" "/_emacs" windows-nt directory-files nil "^\\.emacs\\(\\.elc?\\)?$" "~/.emacs" "~/_emacs" vax-vms "sys$login:.emacs" "/.emacs" t load file-name-extension "elc" file-name-sans-extension ".el" file-exists-p file-newer-than-file-p message "Warning: %s is newer than %s" sit-for 1 "default" inhibit-default-init inhibit-startup-message] 5]()
      command-line()
      normal-top-level()

• Bruce Ingalls
      Bruce Ingalls
      2006-08-21

Thanks for letting me know.
      I've been slowly overhauling EMacro for a new release. My main tester reported problems with Fedora Core 5, which I believe loads the same version of Emacs.
      I recently installed that version; I do not currently have a copy of Debian to test with, although Ubuntu might suffice.
      Hopefully, fixing FC5 will also address your issue.
      I've recently become busy, so be patient, while I find time to devote to EMacro.

Incidentally, there should be no install effort, per se.
      I assume that you used the .deb package. This should create or modify your site-start.el file, with no need to modify your .emacs file.
      It is possible that Debian or the new version of Emacs has moved the site-start file. It initially looks to be the case for FC5.
      Type into Emacs
          C-h v [ret]
          load-path
      This should help view this variable.
      In particular, I am looking for /site-lisp/ in the load-path. I suspect that this location has changed.
      The site-start.el from directory that EMacro installed, is what must be moved to that specified by this load-path.
      Otherwise, you can invoke it from your .emacs.

I have a few more steps that we can go over to debug this problem; recognize that this code is labled beta/unstable, and I recall there being a bug that must be resolved.

Thanks for your patience,
      Bruce

• this is what I show with

"Type into Emacs
      C-h v [ret]
      load-path"

load-path's value is
      ("/home/rodney/emacs/packages/w3m" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/tramp/lisp" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/tiny-tools/lisp/other" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/tiny-tools/lisp/tiny" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/" "/home/rodney/emacs/i18n" "/home/rodney/emacs/programmer" "/home/rodney/emacs/preferences" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/w3/contrib" "/home/rodney/emacs/packages/w3/lisp" "/home/rodney/emacs/emacro/" "/home/rodney/emacs/" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/emacs-color-themes" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/a2ps" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/debian-el" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/psgml" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el" "/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/dictionaries-common" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/psgml" "/etc/emacs21" "/etc/emacs" "/usr/local/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp" "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/a2ps" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/debian-el" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/dictionaries-common" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/emacs-color-themes" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/site-lisp/psgml" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/leim" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/toolbar" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/textmodes" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/progmodes" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/play" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/obsolete" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/net" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/mail" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/language" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/international" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/gnus" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/eshell" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/emulation" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/emacs-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/calendar" "/usr/share/elisp")

Documentation:
      *List of directories to search for files to load.
      Each element is a string (directory name) or nil (try default directory).
      Initialized based on EMACSLOADPATH environment variable, if any, otherwise to default specified by file `epaths.h' when Emacs was built

Not sure how to change the site lisp from withing emacs.

• Bruce Ingalls
      Bruce Ingalls
      2006-10-07

Sorry for the slow response; as I warned you, I'm busy these days. I installed Emacs 21 and Emacro 2005-9beta on Ubuntu 5.10, which I could get my hands on.
      I've been noticing that Emacs 21 has been changing its (startup) directories around, which is annoying for EMacro. However, you are able to start EMacro, nonetheless.
      Ubuntu mostly worked with this EMacro beta. However, I had some debian specific code in e-linux.el, to make it easier to find .elc files, which I commented out, as it is not that important. Also, tabbar.el from e-macs.el looks annoying, but it still works.

Commnent out this block of code, near the top of /usr/share/elisp/emacro/lisp/e-linux.el
      and you should be good to go:

;; (when (boundp 'debian-emacs-flavor)
      ;;   (setq find-function-source-path
      ;;     (mapcar (lambda (path)
      ;;           (if (string-match (concat "/" debian-emacs-flavor
      ;;                         "/site-lisp/")
      ;;                     path)
      ;;               (replace-match "/emacs/site-lisp/" nil t path)
      ;;             path))
      ;;         load-path)))