kezuzu
2012-08-22
2013-02-18
  • kezuzu
    kezuzu
    2012-08-22

Good day,

Please assist me with the following:

I have three servers, all servers have jboss and EJBCA installed.

I have created a new RootCA1 and SubCA1 of RootCA1 on Sever1
    I have also created SubCAs of SubCA1 on Server2 and Server3.
    Server2 has SubCA11 and Server3 has SubCA12.

How do I establish trust between SubCA11 and SubCA12?

Thank you

• kezuzu
    kezuzu
    2012-08-22

Hi,

Below is an error message I got when the web browser with certificate issued by SubCA11 connect to application/ web server with certificate issued by SubCA12:

app1 uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

Thank you

• Fully normal. You need to understand how your webserver handles trusted certificates. Install SubCA11 as a trusted CA in your webserver.

Cheers,
    Tomas

PrimeKey Solutions offers commercial EJBCA and SignServer support subscriptions and training courses. Please see www.primekey.se or contact info@primekey.se for more information.
    http://www.primekey.se/Services/Support/
    http://www.primekey.se/Services/Training/

• kezuzu
    kezuzu
    2012-08-23

Hi,

Thank you for your response. How do I do that? How do I unsure that SubCA11 is part of certificate chain installed in the webserver?
    How do I ensure trust between SubCA11 and SubCA12, since they are both signed by SubCA1?

Thank you.

• Anonymous
    2012-08-23

The configuration is web-server-specific.  In Tomcat you (usually) put all trusted CAs in a JKS-file referred to by "server.xml".   This is for example used by EJBCA since JBoss uses Tomcat.

Cheers,
    Anders
    tech support

• kezuzu
    kezuzu
    2012-08-23

Hi,

I will look into it, thank you. Where should I do the configuration? Is it on Server1(SubCA1)? Is there documentation that I can look into to get more understanding?

Thank you,

• Anonymous
    2012-08-23

Since this is web-server-specific you should look into actual the web-server's guide for configuring SSL/TLS with client-certificate authentication.

I would say that it is non-trivial.  If you use Tomcat looking into EJBCA/JBoss server.xml is also a possiblity.

• kezuzu
    kezuzu
    2012-09-03

Hi

I have imported the certificates into the truststore file defined in server.xml and I still get trust issues. Do i also need to import the certificates into java cacerts file?

Thank you

• Anonymous
    2012-09-03

The question is now: Do you get an EJBCA trust error or does it fail on TLS?
    You can test this by logging in to https://yourhost:8443/

BTW, do you get the chance to select certificate?
    Try with Firefox, Chrome require a bit more work.

Cheers,
    Anders

• kezuzu
    kezuzu
    2012-09-12

Hi,
    I think you do not understand my problem.

I am trying make two external EJBCA subCA ( SubCA11 and SubCA12) to have trust. I don't have issues with accessing the admin web. This is the error message i get:

<IP ADDRESS>  uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

I tried reading online, and try other ways to solve the certificate chain issue but its not working.

• Anonymous
    2012-09-12

Hi,
    It is true that I don't understand what your problem is :-)
    You can login to the admin web with a certificate, yes?

So when do you get the error?  And what kind of access do you do then?  What client?  what server?

Cheers,
    Anders

• kezuzu
    kezuzu
    2012-09-12

I have 3 servers, all severs with JBOSS/EJBCA installed. 

Yes i can logon to the admin web in all servers and create certificates.

Server1(CA1) - has signed server2(CA11) and server3(CA12) - which means that CA11 and CA12 are external subCAs of CA1.

I need certificates created from CA11 and CA12 to trust each other. How do i do that?

The error i posted i get it when use a webserver certificate created by server CA11 and a browser certificate created CA12 to establish a secure connection.

So the browser its complaining because it cannot see CA12 in a certificate chain. How do i ensure that i have a correct chain?

Thank you

• Anonymous
    2012-09-12

"I need certificates created from CA11 and CA12 to trust each other. How do i do that?"

I think this is somewhat strangely expressed.  A server or client can be configured to trust one or more CAs.

If you want a Relying Party (server or client) to trust both CAs you need to put the root cert into a truststore.
    The client must then contain the client-cert + its associated subCA cert.

Since we are talking about 2-way-auth the opposite is also valid.  That is, if you create an TLS cert with CA11 the keystore must contain both CA11 + server-cert.

keytool -v -list -keystore mykeystore.p12 -storetype pkcs12 -storepass yourpassword

is very useful

Cheers,
    Anders