Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Problem compiling ehcache

Developers
2009-08-04
2013-05-14
  • Hi,

I downloaded the ehcache code from https://ehcache.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ehcache/trunk/core (there is no 1.6.1 tag) and I tried to compile it.
    When it tries to execute the RMIC tasks it throws this error message:

[INFO] [compiler:compile {execution: default-compile}]
    [INFO] Compiling 96 source files to C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\workspace
    -ehcache\ehcache\target\classes
    [INFO] [antrun:run {execution: rmic}]
    [INFO] Executing tasks
         [rmic] RMI Compiling 1 class to C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan\workspac
    e-ehcache\ehcache\target\classes
    [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
    [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [INFO] An Ant BuildException has occured: Cannot use SUN rmic, as it is not avai
    lable.  A common solution is to set the environment variable JAVA_HOME

I set the JAVA_HOME var and the Maven vars. I'm using jdk 1.6.0_14 .
    Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance,
       Jonathan.

• Greg Luck
      Greg Luck
      2009-08-05

1.6.1 is tagged now. Was on the road - sorry.

See http://ehcache.sourceforge.net/documentation/building.html for how to build. It is maven based these days.

• Hi Greg,

The page you referenced still says, "To build Ehcache from source: ... From within the ehcache/core directory, type ant".

Now that you (and others from Terracotta) will have more time to work on Ehcache, is there a chance the build instructions will be updated?  The two times I've submitted patches, I've had to comment-out parts of the pom to get the build to complete.  Maybe it's just that I'm not very comfortable with Maven, but I'd guess that was true of others on this list as well.

Thanks,
        Matt

• Greg Luck
        Greg Luck
        2009-08-24

Matt

Building from source instructions fixed. In terms of quality of the doco going forward, I asked the devs at Terracotta to review. They have found several other issues which I will be fixing today.

These fixes goes up tomorrow.

• Great.  Thanks!  I look forward to building ehcache properly, as opposed to hackily. :)

--Matt