Increasing the size of the virtual disk

Help
robtweed
2008-05-24
2013-04-18
  • robtweed
    robtweed
    2008-05-24

I've been able to successfully create a VMWare VM for the Asus Eee from the kit, which works great.  However, there's very little spare room in the virtual drive that is created by vmware-convert.  It would be nice to be able to specify the disk size you'd like to initially create as a parameter of vmware-convert.

Instead what I did was to use vmware-vdiskmanager -x 20GB asus.vmdk to increase it in size, but of course the extra size cannot be seen by the Asus unless you merge the new space into the partition.  Problem is that gparted doesn't want to know: it simply says "No devices detected" and fdisk -l returns absolutely nothing (not even an error message).

Any ideas on how to repartition that new extra space into the virtual Eee's /dev/root?

Thanks

Rob

• robtweed
      robtweed
      2008-06-06

I'm disappointed not to have had a response to this.  I really would like to know if there's a way to increase the size of the virtual disk that is created for the Eee VM - it really leaves no room for serious work.  The alternative of deleting unwanted stuff to make room seems pretty clunky.  Surely it must be possible to either specify a larger disk when you create the VM, or extend it after the event.

And it really does seem strange that gparted and fdisk don't appear to want to work.

Any thoughts from the guys at Asus?

• Astinsan
      Astinsan
      2009-02-02

You need to create another drive for your virtual hardware emulator then transfer the stuff from the unionfs partition to the new drive. Use this upgrade a hard disk how to. http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade.html