Ede-2.1 on minix3.3.0 & current

EDE
r0ller
2015-05-15
2015-06-10
  • r0ller

r0ller - 2015-05-15

Hi All,

I tried to install EDE-2.1 on the current version of minix but unfortunately without any success. I managed to install EDE-2.0 quite some time back on minix3.2.1 so I hoped it will work out fine this time as well. The problem I bump into is that when building edelib, I get three undefined references during linking: "./lib/libedelib.so: undefined reference to 'is_macro'" and the other two differ only on the functions 'is_inport' and 'is_outport'. I googled a bit and if I'm not lead astray by google hits, then those have something to do with tinyscheme and edelib seems to use that indeed. So I installed it separatley but it didn't help either. I also tried setting additional library paths specific to minix (like /usr/pkg/lib) and even unspecific ones (like /usr/lib) when configuring edelib using the LDFLAGS but they didn't help either. Can someone help me here? Thanks for your time and efforts in advance!

Best regards,
    r0ller

• r0ller

r0ller - 2015-06-09

Hey, everyone is on holiday?:)

• kraileth

kraileth - 2015-06-09

Hi r0ller! Not exactly on holiday... More on the contrary: Sanel is currently extremely busy with his paid work and barely has any time for EDE. And unfortunately he's the sole developer here. That's why things are very quiet.

A maintenance release 2.1.1 is planned to be released as time permits - but as far as I know the issue that you brought up was unknown so far. I have no knowledge of Minix and little of how EDE works internally so you'll probably have to wait for Sanel for a definitive answer. Just wanted to state that this forum is not a dead place. Things will progress again (and hopefully soon).

• r0ller

r0ller - 2015-06-10

Hi Kraileth,

Thanks for your answer:) I'll wait for Sanel's answer. Thanks again!

Regards,
      r0ller

• J G Miller

J G Miller - 2017-02-01

This issue is also occuring now on Ubuntu 16.04 / Linux Mint 18.

is_inport, is_macro, and is_outport are used in src/ts/scheme.c and are have references in the library object file scheme.lo which gets built in that directory src/ts

The problem appears to be that the defintions of these functions in scheme.c are done as inline, so the object file does not contain the functions defintions because they are "inline" (text macro-like).

Thus by removing inline from their definitions, the function definitions are made availabel for external use, as needed by eg edelib-dbus-explorer and edelib-script

Once "INLINE" is removed from

~~~
    INTERFACE INLINE int is_ ...
    ~~~

for is_import, is_macro, and is_outport definitions in scheme.c, the functions are no longer U (undefined) in scheme.lo and the linking errors for the edelib tools are gone.

• Sanel Zukan

Sanel Zukan - 2017-02-01

Thanks for report. I believe this got fixed in git repo (https://github.com/edeproject/edelib/blob/master/edelib/ts/scheme.h). Can you try to pull it and test from there?

Best,
      Sanel

• r0ller

r0ller - 2017-02-02

Wow, I didn't expect an answer after ~2 years -especially not from someone outside the EDE team:) Thanks! I'll give it a try. Minix has taken a few steps further in the meantime so now on minix-3.4.0:D Thanks again!

• Sevilla, Larry - for Minix 3

I have posted this to Minix 3 Google Groups, and r0ller pointed me to this site.

I'm new to minix (and also EDE).
    I'm trying to install a GUI Desktop in Minix.

Based on available documentation (in Minix3.org):

I installed latest minix_R3.4.0rc6-d5e4fc0 on a PC (Pentium D, IDE disk.)

executed postinstallation, ie, password, timezone, hostname, ...

and also:

pkgin update
    pkgin_sets

pkgin install nano (text editing)

cd /usr
    git clone git://git.minix3.org/minix src

cd /usr/src
    make build

reboot

Tried to install EDE using pkgin but failed. seems none. found pkgsrc.

cd /usr
    make pkgsrc

cd /usr/pkgsrc/x11/ede
    bmake

got error/conflict with pkg-config and pkgconf

pkgin remove pkg-config
    pkgin install pkgconf

bmake (again)

error:
    /usr/pkgsrc/work/x11/ede/work/.buildlink/lib/libefltk.so: undefined reference to 'copy_row'
    /usr/pkgsrc/work/x11/ede/work/.buildlink/lib/libefltk.so: undefined reference to 'pthread_usleep'
    /usr/pkgsrc/work/x11/ede/work/.buildlink/lib/libefltk.so: undefined reference to '
    pthread_read'
    /usr/pkgsrc/work/x11/ede/work/.buildlink/lib/libefltk.so: undefined reference to '__pthread_write'
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    ../makeinclude:58: recipe for target 'ecolorconf' failed
    gmake[1]: * [ecolorconf] Error 1
    Makefile:33: recipe for target 'all' failed
    gmake: * [all] Error 2
    *** Error code 2

Stop.
    bmake[1]: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/ede
    *** Error code 1

Stop.
    bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/ede

Q1: Did I missed some steps?
    Q2: Is EDE running on Minix 3?

• Sanel Zukan

Sanel Zukan - 2017-09-22

Hi Larry,

Sorry for delay. From what I can see, you are building efltk (I presume older EDE version).

Try with newer one and FLTK - we deprecated eFLTK long time ago. If you must use older EDE version, compile efltk with ./configure --disable-threads.

Let me know if you find any problems.

Best,
    Sanel

• Sevilla, Larry - for Minix 3

Thanks for responding...

I'm using pkgsrc from Minix3 site. http://www.minix3.org/pkgsrc/distfiles/local/3.4.0/
    I think it's old. Got http://www.minix3.org/pkgsrc/distfiles/local/3.4.0/ede-1.0.4.tar.bz2

Anyway typed: "./configure --disable-threads" on the ff directories but got err msg "./configure: not found".

/usr/pkgsrc/x11/ede
    /usr/pkgsrc/x11/efltk
    /usr/pkgsrc/x11
    /usr/pkgsrc

Tried to locate "configure"

cd /usr/pkgsrc
    find . -name "configure"

many results
    the most logical
    "./work/x11/ede/work/ede/configure"

cd /usr/pkgsrc/work/x11/ede/work/ede
    ./configure --disable-threads