Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

efiler h*cked into a "working&quo...

EDE
2012-12-21
2013-04-05
  • Bojan Popovic
    Bojan Popovic
    2012-12-21

I was playing with last revision of efiler from SVN repo and made it mostly working. But, it's buggy, unmaintained and obsolete (according to edelibs docs). Shame. Because it looks like a nice file manager. :) Kudos to the authors. I'm posting this in hope to motivate someone to pick it up.

Download of h*cked source
    http://bocke.na.rs/download/hacks/ede/efiler-hkd.tar.xz

Cheers,
    Bojan.

P.S. SF didn't let me post this because of the word "h*cked"…

• Sanel Zukan
    Sanel Zukan
    2012-12-21

>  I was playing with last revision of efiler from SVN repo and made
    >  it mostly working.

Thank you for fixing it! I'll update the code.

> But, it's buggy, unmaintained and obsolete
    > (according to edelibs docs). Shame. Because it looks like a nice
    > file manager. :)

True. I was ambitious project by one of previous developers, but when
    he left the project I had to leave it for future due lack of manpower
    and focus on rest of DE.

> Kudos to the authors. I'm posting this in hope to
    > motivate someone to pick it up.

Hopefully will do; feel free to fork it and send me a patches if you
    improve it further, I'll happily add them :)

Regards,
    Sanel

• Bojan Popovic
    Bojan Popovic
    2012-12-21

I don't consider myself a programmer. I mostly hack on others' sources. :) I have some basic knowledge of C++ which was enough for this "hack", but don't know if I would be able to do anything useful without diving a bit deeper in C++ and fltk. But, I might try messing with it if the time allows. :)

Btw, I accidently ran indent on one of the files. It's hard to notice the changes and SVN diff is not usable in this case. Any way to correct this, or it's safe to ignore it?

• Sanel Zukan
    Sanel Zukan
    2012-12-21

> I don't consider myself a programmer. I mostly hack on others'
    > sources.
    > … But, I might try messing with it if the time allows. :)

You already did marvellous job with previous fix. Thanks again.

> Btw, I accidently ran indent on one of
    > the files. It's hard to notice the changes and SVN diff is not usable
    > in this case. Any way to correct this, or it's safe to ignore it?

Should not be a problem. The code needs a deep revision anyway since
    there are a couple of leaks and bad things that can lead to crash.

Regards,
    Sanel

• Bojan Popovic
    Bojan Popovic
    2012-12-22

Should not be a problem. The code needs a deep revision anyway since there are a couple of leaks and bad things that can lead to crash.

I tried to point out to some  thing that made it crash (in the source), but I see I missed some things. It still crashes sometimes. But those are usually simple things, like unchecked condition. For example: missing checking if anything was selected before showing context menu and similar. :)

Well, I agree about the revision. When I browsed throught the edelibs docs I saw some of the code was duplicated in the efiler. So these bits should be replaced with the ones now available in edelibs. And there are also some new bits that could get integrated in the new efiler. :)

• Bojan Popovic
    Bojan Popovic
    2012-12-22

I was reading http://www.t-dose.org/2012/talks/ede-light-desktop-environment and saw this:

EDE is written in C++ and this language is known for creating bloated
    binaries with increased compilation time. For this reason, we are
    trying to skip:

* exceptions
    * STL and STL based code
    * template abuse

Great. :) As I'm more adept in C (and EDE is not using STL and templates ), I might actually try your suggestion about forking efiler. :)

• Sanel Zukan
    Sanel Zukan
    2012-12-23

No STL, except some containers (list, String) which mimics STL
    versions mainly for performance comparison.

Exceptions are also skipped to make code explicit and EDE could be
    compiled without RTTI support (default is on), which will reduce
    binary size even more.

Sanel

• kraileth
    kraileth
    2012-12-25

Hi, Iluzionista!

Just wanted to thank you for getting efiler to work (and for the screenshots)! I had never seen it before and like a lot what I saw now.

I'm trying to build a Qt-less and GTK-less system with just FLTK as TK and EDE as the DE. So far I've used Fluff (https://sites.google.com/site/lockmoorecoding/downloads/fluff) but that's a fair bit too minimalistic IMO.

It would be really great if you'd continue to improve efiler. I don't know how well it compares to PcmanFM especially in terms of memory and also when it comes to user friendlyness but I think it could well compete with it on light-weight systems. I also read that you're thinking about creating new panel applications. In either way: If you should need testers, I'd gladly volunteer for that. I'll keep an eye on your two topics here on the forums.

• Bojan Popovic
    Bojan Popovic
    2012-12-25

Hey lxeerie,

thanx for the feedback. :)

Efiler is currently pretty much unstable. I haven't really dived into it a bit deeper, just fixed the compatibility issues with the newer edelibs and several crashes/compiler warnings. I won't have time to work on it again until after the holidays.

Yes, I'm hacking on a small panel applet wich would contain the launchers of user's preffered applications. It's really a simple thing to do, and a way for me to get more familiar with fltk before hacking on efiler further. :)

Unfortunately customizing EDE currently means patching the source code. I did play a bit with it:
    http://bocke.deviantart.com/#/d5oxqvn

On this screenshot you can see some small changes to the default EDE setup (smaller icons, flatter toolbar buttons, the frame around the clock and customized panel applets.

You can find my continuation/hack of efiler source in EDE svn (thanx Sanel) under efiler tag, or at my github account:
    https://github.com/bocke/efiler

Cheers & happy holidays,

Bojan.

• Sanel Zukan
    Sanel Zukan
    2012-12-25

> Unfortunately customizing EDE currently means patching the source
    > code. I did play a bit with it:

Nice shots! Yes, some things now needs patching until I wire theme
    engine inside apps.

> Cheers & happy holidays,

From my side too and Happy New Year guys!

Sanel

• Bojan Popovic
    Bojan Popovic
    2013-01-05

Nice shots!

Thanx. :)

And Happy New Year! ;)