EDE
kiao
2010-01-10
2013-04-05
  • kiao
    kiao
    2010-01-10

Hello hello

I start to see how to look EDE 2.0. Could you help me.

1. It seams that ede is only handling LANG=C, if I set anything else, most of the menus entry and icons are not showings
    2. As you know I'm the main developper of NuTyX. Since 2007 EDE was my farorit WM for administration purpose.  Unfortunatly, I'm having problems to build a package of EDE 2.0. Its look like they are some variables definition missing as a result the installation of the desktop for exempl goes direct to the root file system instead of a tempory directory defined by a variable PKG. Have a look at the build.

http://kiao.no-ip.info/NuTyX/git/?p=nutyx-2009;a=blob;f=extra/ede/Pkgfile;h=30473f739747c3fbb091ac152273fd90bf55d15a;hb=7436c81bcaf0d98d1fd692b6883895a0bbaa9c5b

prefix=$PKG jam install is not enought,
    Have a look at the building log

http://kiao.no-ip.info/NuTyX/log/ede.log

I'm shure it will help you

3. May be I could build directetly from the SVN repo (as mentionned in the previous topix)

It would be nice for you to have more feedback from the NuTyX community as soon a package will be available.

Tanks a lot for your support

Keep going, you are doing a great job

Regards

Thierry

• Sanel Zukan
    Sanel Zukan
    2010-01-10

It seams that ede is only handling LANG=C, if I set anything else, most of the menus entry and icons are not showings

Hm… what LANG are you using? What items are shown and what are not? Could you do some shots?

Its look like they are some variables definition missing as a result the installation

Yes, you are correct. Some paths (dbus and session) are hardcoded since dbus and gdm/kdm/xdm are expecting data on that places. The paths should use $prefix var. I filled an issue for this (http://bugs.equinox-project.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178) and should be resolved during the week on the repo.

It would be nice for you to have more feedback from the NuTyX community as soon a package will be available.

Yea, you are absolutely correct :) Hoping we will have working package in upcoming days :)

Thank you for positive feedback.

Best,
    Sanel

• kiao
    kiao
    2010-01-10

what LANG are you using?

echo $LANG
    fr_FR.UTF-8

should be resolved during the week on the repo.

Great news

Hoping we will have working package in upcoming days

Even an svn for me will be fine, it just have to be possible to build like I show you

Tanks a lots

Thierry

PS: screenshots will follows

• Sanel Zukan
    Sanel Zukan
    2010-01-19

Hi,

Thank you for the shots and the patch. Issue with menu locales should be fixed now; default entries will be used if localized wasn't found.

Related to patch: I modified some items you changed, e.g. $(prefix)/usr/share/xsessions will be $(datadir)/xsessions which expands to $(prefix)/share/xsessions. Also, all configuration files will be stored in $(prefix)/etc/xdg, instead /etc/xdg, but this can be overriden with ./configure -sysconfdir=PATH.

To test, fetch both edelib and ede from svn.

Please let me know if something goes wrong.

Best,
    Sanel

• kiao
    kiao
    2010-01-26

Great great great,

I would like to tanks for your commits. Last Sunday evening I build edelibs and ede without major problems. Its getting better and beter. I give you the feedback from my users.

- First they are very impress by the progress of the work.
    - Would be agood idea to add the support of dbus-launching in the ede.desktop file (for GDM and KDM)
    - The locales are now much better support. It's seams only that the Panel control (Icons, Clock, etc) show when LANG=C
    - The creation of a shortcut or laucher on the deskop is still missing, I guess it is a bit complicated to implement
    - Could it be an idea to help you in the french translation of EDE

All the best

Regards

Thierry

• Sanel Zukan
    Sanel Zukan
    2010-02-01

Hi Thierry,

- First they are very impress by the progress of the work.

Nice to hear this! :)

- Would be agood idea to add the support of dbus-launching in the ede.desktop file (for GDM and KDM)

I didn't understaind this well; did you mean by launching desktop from GDM/KDM via dbus or launching dbus session when ede.desktop gets called?

It's seams only that the Panel control (Icons, Clock, etc) show when LANG=C

Icons/clock are not shown?

The creation of a shortcut or laucher on the deskop is still missing, I guess it is a bit complicated to implement

Huh, yes this is known issue. Actually it is not too complicated as requires a bit of ede-desktop parts to be modified. I made a few mistakes in the code and that is the reason for delay in implementing this feature. Hopefully it will be done before official 2.0 release.

Best, Sanel

• Sanel Zukan
    Sanel Zukan
    2010-02-02

Btw. I missed somehow your question about translation: I created project on Transifex (http://www.transifex.net/projects/p/ede/); the only thing left to be done is to create somehow familiar directory structure so Transifex can catch it. This would not be a problem for edelib, but for whole ede tree (as each app has own translation directory)… I will see what can be done.

Sanel