Instructions to edit/build this book
This is the recommended way to edit this manual. It is the one I found
most convenient both under Linux and OS X.
* Install the xmlto package. You can do it in almost any Linux machine
and also under OS X using the Fink packages.
* Install Emacs (Linux) or Aquamacs (OS X).
* Make sure you have the nxml-mode package. This is available in some
Linux distributions and comes for free with Aquamacs.
* In the nxml-mode you should replace the Docbook schemas, which go
only up to version 4.2. These are the steps to do so:
- Go to http://www.docbook.org/schemas/4x.html
- Download the RELAX NG schema. It will suffice with docbook-rng-4.4.zip
- Go to the place where nxml stores its schema files. In Debian/Ubuntu
it is /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/nxml-mode/schema, in Aquamacs it is
- Make a backup copy of these schemas.
- Unzip the previous package directly on top of the directory mentioned before.
After these steps, you should be able to edit the manual. To build it,
ensure that the "xmlto" program is in some of the directories listed
in the PATH environment variable and type "make" from the command
line. This will build the HTML version.