Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

What Did You Like or Not Like?

2007-08-08
2014-04-11
1 2 3 .. 8 > >> (Page 1 of 8)
  • Mark Dexter
    Mark Dexter
    2007-08-08

Hi. For those of you who have worked through some of the Eclipse and Java for Total Beginners series, I would like to hear back on anything in the lessons that you either did or did not like. Were they too slow? Too fast? Just right? Was the sample application ok? Did they hold your interest? Any suggestions for making them better? Thanks!

• conank
      conank
      2007-08-09

At first, thanks you for this Tutorial
      I've just find the Tutorial in this morning. It's great! I am very excited with them.

But, there is a slightly problem. It's rather difficult to see the video. There is not any controller in it.

In my opinion, if you can add the controller, it'll be more wonderful.

It is very useful for the beginners.
      I hope you will make more Tutorials

Thanks so much.
      Regards,

• Mark Dexter
        Mark Dexter
        2007-08-09

Hi. Did you click on the "Lesson 1.SWF" file or on the "Lesson 1.HTML" file. If you click on the HTML file there should be a controller below the video display. If you click directly on the SWF file there is no controller. Let me know if this fixes your problem. Thanks.

• conank
      conank
      2007-08-10

I am very sorry. I was so hurry and didn't look it carefully. Everything is OK now with "Lesson 1.HTML".

This tutorial is so helpful and excellent. It may be took you a lot of time to finish it.
      I hope that it will be more sucessful.

Thanks so much
      Regrads,

• dcs38
      dcs38
      2007-08-13

Please accept my thanks.  I have been following your lessons over two sessions and am pausing briefly after lesson 11 to say that this demonstration provides exactly the information I had been seeking.  After considerable searching, nothing encountered has come close to the conciseness and clarity achieved here.  This applies to both visual and audio content. 

I can see why the previous chap was excited.  The same sentiment applies here!

Well done!

• Mark Dexter
        Mark Dexter
        2007-08-13

Thanks for the kind words. I'm gratified that you are finding them helpful. Mark

• coffee
      coffee
      2007-08-14

first,thank you for supporting the cool tutorial.

can you organize the tutorial of dali JPA or JSF?thank you very much

• Cath Lawrence
      Cath Lawrence
      2007-08-27

The approach is brilliant. I was at first deterred by already knowing java reasonably well, but found that this did not matter. Doing familiar tasks with an unfamiliar IDE just meant that my focus on learning the IDE was that much stronger. I've just finished lesson 7 - LOVED the code generation from a failed unit test - and intend to do the rest over the next week.

I would like to see more on the IDE:

* how to delete/rename/move a file should come up early on. Say you make a typo in the name or hit the "finish" instead of "next" button...
      * how to add a library that's not in your default JDK.
      * how to integrate with subversion, or CVS.

Also, your table of contents focuses on the java, so if you want to look back at the video where, for example, the //TODO task list was discussed, too bad. You can't find it easily.

Thanks so much for doing this, it's a wonderful resource.

• Mark Dexter
        Mark Dexter
        2007-08-29

Thanks very much for your comments. Regarding your last point on the table of contents, I originally had a cross-reference of Java and Eclipse concepts covered in each lesson, but I worried that it made the TOC quite long. I am thinking instead of adding an alphabetical index at the end that would tell which lessons covered which topics (e.g., TODO / Tasks, lesson x, etc.). Do you think this would be valuable?

On the rename issue, I was thinking of a lesson on the whole subject of refactoring. Do you think this would be valuable?

Thanks again for your feedback. Mark Dexter

• SlowFatRunner
          SlowFatRunner
          2007-12-27

Mark,

Love your work. Awesome stuff. I'm currently on lesson 11 of the Eclipse and Java for Total Beginners and so far I like absolutely everything.

I don't know if you received an answer to your question "On the rename issue, I was thinking of a lesson on the whole subject of refactoring. Do you think this would be valuable?", but my answer would be "YES YES YES".

Larry

• Mark Dexter
            Mark Dexter
            2007-12-28

Hi Larry. Thanks for the feedback and nice comments. There is a refactoring tutorial in the works, but I'm not sure about the timing. I'm getting help from someone on it, so it will depend on his schedule. I'm currently working on a tutorial on Using the Eclipse Workbench, which should be released in the next 2 weeks or so. Good luck with your learning. Mark

• Mark Dexter
        Mark Dexter
        2007-09-26

Hi. I just wanted to let you know that I have revised the Tutorial Companion Document to include an Alphabetical Index to terms and topics covered in each lesson. So now it should be easier to look up any term (e.g., TODO, generics, etc.) and see in which lesson it was covered. Thanks for the suggestion. Mark

• Ashlon Hill
      Ashlon Hill
      2007-08-30

Mr. Dexter,

I am only on lesson 3 and can't explain how excellent your tutorials are!  I can tell you honestly that you have been the best java teacher I've listened to.  You teach it simply and also show the advanced features of Eclipse.  I've taken 2 university java classes and wish you were the one teaching there.  I noticed that the tutorials are based on an Educational license, would it be ok if I sent the link to the tutorials to my java professors?

Thanks,

Ashill

• Mark Dexter
        Mark Dexter
        2007-08-30

Thanks for the kind words. I very pleased that you have found the lessons helpful. Please feel free to distribute the tutorials to anyone who might benefit from them. That is allowed under the Eductaional license as long as you comply with the terms of the license (e.g., by including the license, etc.).  You can either send them the link to the download site or just send them the zip files. Either is fine.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm working on the next tutorial, which will be on object Persistance with disk files. So keep an eye on this site. Mark Dexter

• Ashlon Hill
      Ashlon Hill
      2007-08-30

Mr. Dexter,

I am only on lesson 3 and can't explain how excellent your tutorials are!  I can tell you honestly that you have been the best java teacher I've listened to.  You teach it simply and also show the advanced features of Eclipse.  I've taken 2 university java classes and wish you were the one teaching there.  I noticed that the tutorials are based on an Educational license, would it be ok if I sent the link to the tutorials to my java professors?  I look forward to doing the rest of the tutorials.  Are there going to be anymore tutorials in the future?

Thanks,

Ashill

• Hi! Just to tell you that the videos are really great. In fact in gives an idea of many wonderfull features available in Eclipse that I did not knew at all. I used a little bit IntelliJ Idea and was trying to learn Eclipse but always been lost with it. With your teaching I'm really trying to see what can be done in Eclipse and I'm eager to start my own project. Your videos will save a LOT of effort. Thank you VERY much.

If you do other videos please keep me informed : jeanph01 HAT gmail.com.

• Mark Dexter
        Mark Dexter
        2007-09-01

Thanks for the message. I'm glad you are finding them helpful. I'm working on a tutorial about Persistence using XML and Java Serialization. It should be available in a few weeks. Mark Dexter

• Eh Mark, on lesson #7 I heard the cry of a seagull in the middle of the lesson. Is it possible ? Were you near the sea when you recorded your tutorials ? :-D It must be inspiring ! :-)

• Mark Dexter
        Mark Dexter
        2007-09-05

Hi. You have better hearing than I do -- I couldn't hear it. But, yes, I work in Seattle, WA, USA, which does have seagulls. On the other hand, perhaps it was a squeaky door? Mark

• jtop65
      jtop65
      2007-09-07

Thank you, i wanted a useful overview of Eclipse features and project workflow and this tutorial did the job wonderfully.

During the first few lessons, i found myself wondering where these code snippets were leading to.  A project overview, i.e. Lending Library, would have been helpful.

• Mark Dexter
        Mark Dexter
        2007-09-07

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you. If I redo it at some point, I'll include something about the application early on. Mark

• BoneXXX
      BoneXXX
      2007-09-08

Thank you very much for these great tutorials, I liked the simple and clear language with real time java examples that you used. I am really looking forward to do your second tutorial series.

• BoneXXX
      BoneXXX
      2007-09-08

I forgot to ask my question in my previous message, could you do a planing before than starting to do coding in the next tutorial, please? Because as a beginner my problem is I don't know how to start, if you could briefly tell us how we should start and what are the key points that we need to think. Thank you very much again for these great tutorials.   Also I want to thanks for the creator of eclipse great program which makes the programming so much fun.  

• SansS
      SansS
      2007-09-13

Mr. Dexter,

I could only say: "Thank you Master!" but I need to add: "How do we clone your empathy gene?" How can you address needs so well?

Eclipse looks like a polished classic set for a drive in the countryside by it's gentle chauffeur. Wow, so comfortable AND non-polluting!

I wait with awe, I think many others do too.

• skota
      skota
      2007-09-20

I have downloaded the 01.zip file to my desktop.After I unzipped it and tried to view it , it will not play.I downloaded flash player.Javascript is enabled.I am running Win XP SP2 professional.Either HTML or SWF file will not play.The error says "location is undefined"What am I doing wrong? Please advise.

1 2 3 .. 8 > >> (Page 1 of 8)