Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

GUI next? Info about keyboard shortcuts

ruby74
2007-11-15
2013-04-09
  • ruby74
    ruby74
    2007-11-15

Hello Marc,
    thanks for the very interesting tutorials. I could learn a lot by now. May I suggest doing a tutorial about
    GUI programming next? And I just wanted you to know that some of the keyboard shortcuts are NOT working with my
    Laptop running Ubuntu Linux 7.10, e.g. Alt+Shift+arrow up does not what it is supposed to do. But anyway the tutorials are great and as I said before I could learn a lot from them. Thanks a lot

Greetings from Germany
    Marco

• Mark Dexter
      Mark Dexter
      2007-11-15

Hi Marco. Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to do one or more tutorials about GUI's. I haven't figured out the best way to approach this yet, but I'm working on it.

The keyboard shortcuts should work the same in Linux as in the tutorial. I just tried it on my Ubuntu 7.04 notebook running Eclipse 3.3.0 and the ALT+Shift+Up and ALT+Shift+Down work inside the Java editor to select expressions just like they do in Windows. So you should be able to get this working.

Anyway, thanks again. Mark

• ruby74
        ruby74
        2007-11-15

Hello Mark,

excuse me for misspelling your name. I tried it again and figured it out. In Ubuntu Linux 7.10 there are a few system keyboard shortcuts
        for moving and tabbing between apps and/or virtual desktops (Ctrl + Alt + Shift, Ctrl + Shift and so on). I don't wan't to deactivate them,
        just wanted to let you know, if anyone else is facing this problem.

Greetings
        Marco

• Mark Dexter
          Mark Dexter
          2007-11-15

Hi Marco. Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, I don't think Eclipse lets you change the shortcut keys, so you will either have to live without this or see if Ubuntu let's you change the shortcut keys to something else. In any case, it is good to know what causes the problem. Mark