Eclipse installation

zbjja
2007-10-15
2013-04-09
  • zbjja
    zbjja
    2007-10-15

I have been happily following Mark's new Persistence Tutorial and now at lesson 9 I'm seeing that the icon in front of testmylibrary.xml in the Package Explorer view does not have an "X" like it does in the tutorial.  I'm also seeing no color coding in the editor window where testmylibrary.xml is being displayed.

I installed the Europa version of "Eclipse IDE fro Java Developers" package for Windows.  What might I not have configured that it's not treating the xml file the same as in the tutorial?  Or maybe there's a plug-in that I need???

Thanks for any advice!

• Mark Dexter
      Mark Dexter
      2007-10-15

Hi. The Eclipse XML Editor should be included in the version you downloaded. Try this.

Right-click the XML file in the Eclipse Package Explorer. Select Open With / XML Editor. Note that you might need to select Open With / Other / XML Editor. If this works, you should be good to go. I think once you have opened a file with the XML Editor, it is associated with it automatically.

Please let me know whether this works. Thanks. Mark Dexter

• zbjja
        zbjja
        2007-10-15

Thanks for your reply, Mark.

Right clicking on the xml file in Package Explorer does not show an XML Editor in neither the first pop-up menu nor under "Other".  Maybe I'll need to do a fresh re-install of Eclipse?

• zbjja
      zbjja
      2007-10-15

I see now that one of my earlier installations of Eclipse DOES have the XML editor.  So I'm going to guess that I corrupted things somehow--most likely during one of my forays into software update.

Thanks, Mark!

I echo the sentiments of so many others on this forum--you're presentations are EXCELLENT!

--john 

• Mark Dexter
        Mark Dexter
        2007-10-15

I'm glad you figured it out. I think in earlier Eclipse versions the XML editor was an optional plug-in that came with the Web Development stuff. But as far as I can tell, it is standard in most or all Eclipse distributions now.

Thanks for the compliment on the tutorials. I'm thinking next of a tutorial on the Eclipse debugger. Would that be helpful? Mark

• zbjja
          zbjja
          2007-10-15

My first desire for a follow-up to the Beginner lessons was something for reading and writing files and that's exactly what came next.  Now looking ahead I think debugging is just right!  Going off and trying to put to use everything learned in the first two tutorials I'm sure I'll be encountering plenty of errors--debugging is a natural for the third tutorial!