Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Downloading hoogle data fails

Help
TGClark
2013-08-20
2013-10-25
  • TGClark
    TGClark
    2013-08-20

Hi

After EclipseFP starts (and I switch to Haskell perspective) the dialog saying hoogle data not found appears, I say yes to download it question, which doesn't seem to do anything - the hoogle view is still blank. The console shows this:

{"filepath":"C:\Users\Tim\Workspaces\kepler\.metadata\.plugins\net.sf.eclipsefp.haskell.browser\scion-browser-0.2-dbs\local.db","command":"load-local-db","rebuild":true}
    "ok"
    Local database loaded
    {"db":"_all","module":"","command":"get-modules"}
    {"filepath":"C:\Users\Tim\Workspaces\kepler\.metadata\.plugins\net.sf.eclipsefp.haskell.browser\scion-browser-0.2-dbs\hackage.db","command":"load-hackage-db","rebuild":false}
    Hackage database loaded
    "ok"
    {"db":"_all","module":"Prelude","command":"get-declarations"}
    {"path":"C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\cabal\bin\hoogle.exe","command":"extra-hoogle-path"}
    "ok"
    {"command":"hoogle-check"}
    C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\cabal\bin\hoogle.exe

"Error"

{"command":"hoogle-data"}
    Downloading hoogle data...
    ..\hackage-cabal.tar.gz: No such file or directory
    hoogle.exe: System command failed: gzip --decompress --force ..\hackage-cabal.tar.gz

{"command":"hoogle-check"}

"Error"

Environment:

Windows 7 Pro (x64)
    Eclipse Kepler (Build-id = 20130614-0229)
    Haskell Platform 2012.4.0.0
    EclipseFP vesion 2.5.4.201307302137, installed as per http://eclipsefp.github.io/install.html
    Helper programs build from the preferences page.

I have tried to find the cause by debugging the EclipseFP plugin, built from source, as per this: http://eclipsefp.github.io/dev.html, but it's too complicated for me to follow.

Please help, I'd like to learn Haskell with a fully working IDE.

Regards, Tim

• JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2013-08-20

Does it work from the command line? See this problem: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7523151/hoogle-data-on-windows or maybe my own blog post on dependencies: http://jpmoresmau.blogspot.fr/2011/08/hoogle-command-line-on-windows.html

• TGClark
      TGClark
      2013-08-21

This file ..\hackage-cabal.tar.gz, where is it supposed to be? how is it supposed to have gotten there? how does the software know where to put it?

You asked: Does it work from the command line?
      What 'it' does this refer to?
      Details of command line so I can answer your question?

Many thanks for your time.

• JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2013-08-22

the tar.gz file is the hoogle file hoogle downloads from its site. One of the links I provided talks about the wrong version of tar looking in the wrong directory, hence the error.
    To simulate on the command line, just open a command prompt and type in hoogle data. If hoogle is not found, put the full path C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\cabal\bin\hoogle.exe.

• Aleksey Nogin
    Aleksey Nogin
    2013-10-19

I am seeing a similar issue. "hoogle data" and generally using hoogle on the command line works. Hoogle in EclipseFP is empty. Yesterday at one point, I observer the error message about hackage-cabal.tar.gz not being found, but right now I do not see any errors (or may be just do not know where to look), just empty hoogle results.

Haskell Platform 2012.4.0.0 (GHC 7.4.2)
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Eclipse Version: Kepler Service Release 1; Build id: 20130919-0819
    cabal-install version 0.14.0; using version 1.14.0 of the Cabal library
    Hoogle v4.2.23
    scion-browser executable, version 0.2.18

• JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2013-10-19

Look into the console called "common scion browser". It should check for hoogle and try to download data if it doesn't find any.

• Aleksey Nogin
      Aleksey Nogin
      2013-10-19

Right, now I remember that this is probably where I saw the error message. However right now that console is empty and attempting to search in hoogle just does not do anything - both the hoogle window remains empty (other that the search field), and the scion-browser console remains empty. I tried editing the preferences to point to the location of hoogle.exe instead of leaving it empty and allowing it to find it on its own, and it did not change anything.

P.S. I am new to both Eclipse and EclipseFP (used to do all my development with vim under Linux), so I may be missing something obvious, but I do not see it...

• JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2013-10-20

In the preferences, under Haskell -> Helper executables -> advanced, enable scion-browser debug mode and restart Eclipse to see if there's any helpful message.

• Aleksey Nogin
    Aleksey Nogin
    2013-10-25

Problem is gone with EclipseFP 2.5.5!