Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Cabal install from a local directory/specifying versions in eclipsefp setup

Help
asop
2013-01-01
2013-01-01
  • asop
    asop
    2013-01-01

Hi, after having encountered the issue here : http://sourceforge.net/p/eclipsefp/discussion/371922/thread/ef0cda42/ I was wondering if it is theoretically possible to install the necessary packages from a local directory? The idea would be that you would supply us with a zip file containing all the cabal packages that you are using, and then we would perform a cabal install using this downloaded zip file, rather than getting cabal to download the relevant packages from hackage.

Ocassionally you would upgrade the haskell packages that you are using, and then when you provide users with the zip they can also do the same. That way everyone is synchronised in the version of the cabal packages they are using. An alternative would be to specify the versions in the eclipsefp setup. Thanks

I just want to find out if something like this is possible. Thanks

• asop
    asop
    2013-01-01

The additional benefit of being able to install from a local directory is that one does not have to worry about corporate firewall blocking cabal activity. For example cabal downloads .tar.gz files, and this is usually blocked by corporate firewalls......

• asop
    asop
    2013-01-01

Actually I am not sure the whole thing is really a good idea, because I guess most people use cabal for a lot of other things (rather than just eclipsefp). I use cabal only for eclipsefp.....

• asop
    asop
    2013-01-01

Just found out you can install via locally stored files (rather than internet) using cabal fetch.