Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Bug? Wrong size of popup

Help
2013-01-17
2014-01-19
  • Han Joosten
    Han Joosten
    2013-01-17

Hi

When I hoover the mouse over a variable, after a slight delay a window appears that shows the definition of the variable. This is a great feature.
    However, the width of the window is a few pixles too narrow. This causes a horizontal scroll bar to appear at the bottom of the window. The content of the window is partly hidden because of that scroll bar. To see the entire content, the size of the window has to be adapted manually, which is annoying.
    I am using version EclipseFP 2.4.2. on a windows 7 (64bits)

Thanks for all the good work!!

Han

• JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2013-01-17

Which version of Eclipse and which version of Microsoft Internet Explorer (I think that what Eclipse will use to render HTML on Windows). I have Windows 7 64 bits, and the popup is the right size, both on Eclipse 3.7 and 4.2.

• Han Joosten
    Han Joosten
    2013-01-18

I have
    Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers, Version: Juno Service Release 1, Build id: 20121004-1855
    I use IE9, version 9.0.8112.16421
    However, I use chrome as standard browser.

Could it be that the line thickness of border of the window isn't taken into account when calculating the width of the box? (just guessing...)

• Han Joosten
    Han Joosten
    2013-01-18

Just to be sure: I checked if there was any difference when I shitch back to IE9 as browser. exactly the same appearence of the window.

• JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2013-01-18

What did you do to switch back to IE9?

• Han Joosten
      Han Joosten
      2013-01-18

I started !E9. It asked me if I want to make it the standard browser. I
      confirmed it. Then I rebooted the entire system.

Last edit: Han Joosten 2013-01-18
  • JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2013-01-18

I've installed IE9. I have Windows 7 64 bits with Chrome as default Browser but IE9 as the windows installed browser, and the popups are the proper size (no scroll bar). Sorry, but I don't know what else to do to try to reproduce...

• I have the same problem as Han with a fresh and clean installation of windows 8, eclipse, haskell platform 2012.4. Have you solved the problem?

Last edit: Wolfgang Brandt 2013-01-30
  • JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2013-01-30

I could not reproduce, but I tried to code defensively in the dev version. What would be good would be for somebody with the issue to install the version from source (from github) and test. If the problem is still present then we could work to fix it, but that requires somebody that has the problem and would be happy to tinker. Of course I'll help.

• Han Joosten
    Han Joosten
    2013-01-31

I would be happy to. However, I can get myself the sources, but then I am clueless on how to build from them. (I have no Java knowledge, and I suppose 'cabal install eclipsefp' doesn't do the job... ;)

• JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2013-01-31

http://eclipsefp.github.com/dev.html has some instructions. Basically you get the source, these are Eclipse projects, then you launch an Eclipse session from within eclipse, this will use your plugin projects as normal plugins so you can see what's happening.

• Han Joosten
    Han Joosten
    2013-02-01

I succeeded to built from source. Thanks for the details instructions. Now I can observe some differences, but it still is'nt right.
    I'll try to describe the behaviour of the old version (as published ) and the new (from latest source) version:

Action system reaction of old version system reaction of new version
    on mouseover some name the popup shows, but it is too small. It shows the name and the module name where it is defined. the popup shows. It shows the name and the module name where it is defined. It also shows the (haddock) comment of the name.
    on click inside the popup window The hight of the popup changes: now it also shows the (haddock) comment of the name no changes.

In all cases, the width and hight of the popup is still few picksels too small. This causes a horizontal scroll bar to appear, which covers even more of the content of the popup.

• I tried EclipseFP on Linux Ubuntu. As I hoovered over a warning label I got the following error message: "mozilla_five_home not set". Installing the webkit 1.10 browser engine library (libwebkit-gtk) solved the problem. Maybe this information could be helpful.

• JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2013-02-01

Wolfgang, I've added a note in the FAQs (http://eclipsefp.github.com/faq.html)
    Han, I've uploaded a new version of HaskellInformationControl on github, can you check if it solves the issue when you have a minute? I removed hard coded margains that obviously were not enough in your case and found a call that gets me the proper size, at least on my machine.

• Han Joosten
    Han Joosten
    2013-02-01

Yes! This (whatever magic you summoned... ;) does the trick.
    Thanks again for the great work.

Have a nice weekend.

Han.

• Hi.

I have a somewhat similar problem, but the window width lacks waaay more than a few pixels, see the attachment.
    [Eclipse Kepler SR1, EclipseFP 2.5.3 & 2.5.6, Win7 x64, IE 11, Chrome 32 as a default browser]

EDIT: the popup width grows a bit when I hover the mouse over it for a second; the "->" becomes unbroken, but that's it, the line still does not fit.

Regards,
    Vladimir

Last edit: Vladimir Pozdyayev 2014-01-10
    Attachments
  • JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2014-01-10

Vladimir, I can reproduce, but I'm not sure what's the best way to fix it. We do not want to force the type to be one line only, because you can get very long type signatures that wouldn't fit in your screen. We could I suppose make sure the -> is not breakable or things like this, but I'm not sure it would help that much. Your example is quite a degenerate case, if you pardon the phrase, in that the signature is one the smallest you could have, there's more spaces than characters there (-:

• This probably looks like a corner case, yes, but the thing is, this issue happens for almost every single signature for me.

nodeParser
    ::
    ParsecT
    [I16] u IO
    TokenT

and so on hardly look any better. Personally, I would be perfectly happy with popups that remember the last width they have been resized to. Or maybe had a (configurable) minimum width. No need for them to be that shy on a 1920px-wide monitor :)

• JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2014-01-17

OK, I've changed things so if the name + type is less than 150 characters (to be tweaked) we force it to display on one line. So the popup is better sized then.

• Great news, thank you!