Error on clean install then errors later

Help
Karim
2014-02-15
2014-07-20
  • Karim
    Karim
    2014-02-15

So in a clean install I first installed haskell platform, then eclipsefp plugin, then opened eclipse accepted extra tools download but it stops at SourceGraph failing to install asking to use --force-reinstalls if you want to install. Furthermore at this point nothing is installed neither scion-browser nor buildwrapper. I then started building them manually then when I finished I found that nothing work in eclipse except the highlight no hlint not autocomplete no auto-import(if it exists even in this plugin) no nothing actually so I thought I can uninstall the platform delete the cabal folder then reinstall again.

Now when I did so I try to build things manually again as in the plugin it stops at same place SourceGraph. Now cabal doesnt have any package and I keep downloading each package seperatly the dependency of each build and those dependencies' dependencies so I really donno what to do I have been doing this for an hour and I think there is something wrong here any help???

• JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2014-02-15

Yes, SourceGraph doesn't build with the current dependencies, I've submitted a patch to the author but probably he hasn't had time to release the new version. You don't need sourcegraph, though. So install buildwrapper, scion-browser and any other tool. If EclipseFP does not find them you can go to the preferences page and indicate the path to these executables there.

• Karim
    Karim
    2014-02-15

The thing I can't install other packages as I dont have any current packages and cabal thinks they exist or what I donno so when i try and install buildwrapper it tells me that aeson (or something) has missing files then when I go cabal install aeson (with fore reinstalls and reinstall flags), then it tells me scientific has something missing and I do these steps recursively on every package and it dependencies.

Last edit: Karim 2014-02-15
  • JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2014-02-15

That's weird, I don't know. Can you post the exact messages you get from cabal? It doesn't seem to be specifically eclipsefp related, something weird with your cabal... Maybe also post the error message on haskell-cafe, somebody may have an idea there too.

• Karim
    Karim
    2014-02-16

well any way I spent last 3 hours installing them all. But now I have this problem when I create a project I get this error msg in the problems tab:

Description Resource Path Location Type The program ghc version >=6.4 is required but it could not be found. fat.cabal /fat line 1 Haskell Problem

I want to ask for another thing what are the features available with autocomplete? Because I dont get any autocomplete also is there like auto import? Just asking to know if these exist and I have something wrong installed that prevent these features.

Like on empty project I try to type "toUpper" --> no autocomplete and auto import and no hint to import?

Another thing :)

When I run a project I get this warning :

on the commandline: Warning:
    -package-conf is deprecated: Use -package-db instead

And why the auto-activation triggers are limited to 3 characters? I am used to put all letters there to get content assist when I type any letter not only when I press Ctrl+space

Last edit: Karim 2014-02-16
  • JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2014-02-16

Yes there is autocompletion and autoimport. You should see first the list of imported symbols, ctrl-space again shows you all symbols from referenced packages, ctrl-space again all known symbols. Choosing a function not imported will import it automatically.
    But given the error you have you seem to have something really wrong with your install. Not knowing your OS or precise errors I can't tell you more. What happens when you run cabal configure in the directory of your project?

• Karim
    Karim
    2014-02-18

I am running windows 8.1 and running cabal configure manually from cmd in the directory doesn't give any errors this is the output:

Resolving dependencies...
    Configuring fat-0.1...

I have managed to get autocompletion and autoimport to work. It is only thos 2 errors now the one with the ghc and the warning with -package-conf will they have any impact?

Last edit: Karim 2014-02-18
  • JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2014-02-18

Well yes it would have an impact, you need GHC to be found. Is the path to GHC correct in the preferences?

• Karim
    Karim
    2014-02-18

yes it is, buildwrapper output:

configuring because setup_config not present
    cabal.exe: The program ghc version >=6.4 is required but it could not be
    found.

I manually installed the new buildwrapper from the zip downloaded from here then I copied executable to the bin in cabal directory could this be an issue?

Last edit: Karim 2014-02-18
  • JP Moresmau
    JP Moresmau
    2014-02-18

No it shouldn't be an issue. For configure buildwrapper just calls "cabal configure" with a few options. You can turn on debug mode for buildwrapper in the preferences and it will show you the command line it runs. Because then cabal configure should always find the GHC that you used to install cabal in the first place, so I don't understand how cabal could not find GHC when launched from buildwrapper and it does when launched from the command line, unless you do some voodo with PATH when launching Eclipse... But if the preferences in EclipseFP show you the right GHC, that means EclipseFP could find it...

• Karim
    Karim
    2014-02-18

Fixed the error, I donno how I kept playing in paths, restarting eclipse, closing project, refreshing it, clicking on cabal install dependencies (after this it was fixed).

• Paul Blair
    Paul Blair
    2014-07-20

I wish I knew how you solved this issue, as I am having the same problem. I have a file in /etc/paths.d pointing to the only ghc executable on my system (7.8.3) and everything works fine on the command line. But the debug output I'm seeing in eclipsefp from buildwrapper is like this:

/Users/pb/.fptools/.cabal-sandbox/bin/buildwrapper clean --everything=true --tempfolder=.dist-buildwrapper --cabalpath=/Users/pb/.cabal/bin/cabal --cabalfile=/Users/pb/Documents/workspaces-Haskell/study/Test/Test.cabal --cabalflags= --logcabal=true

build-wrapper-json:true
    /Users/pb/.fptools/.cabal-sandbox/bin/buildwrapper synchronize --force=false --tempfolder=.dist-buildwrapper --cabalpath=/Users/pb/.cabal/bin/cabal --cabalfile=/Users/pb/Documents/workspaces-Haskell/study/Test/Test.cabal --cabalflags= --logcabal=true
    configuring because setup_config not present
    /Users/pb/.cabal/bin/cabal configure '--verbose=1' --user --enable-tests --enable-benchmarks '--builddir=/Users/pb/Documents/workspaces-Haskell/study/Test/.dist-buildwrapper/dist'
    cabal: The program 'ghc' version >=6.4 is required but it could not be found.

Note that I had to put buildwrapper in a separate sandbox because it wouldn't compile with the set of libraries in ~/.cabal -- but that sandbox as well as everything else on the system were created by cabal with ghc 7.8.3. This is also the ghc that EclipseFP preferences are pointing to.

There must be somewhere in eclipse that has some different PATH, but I can't figure out how it's getting that given the file in /etc/paths.d that works fine in any shell I create. I also tried adding the path using launchctl setenv and this also doesn't work.

• Paul Blair
    Paul Blair
    2014-07-20

I figured it out. Apparently the only way to get eclipse to see the path is to edit or create /etc/launchd.conf so that the path includes the path to ghc; e.g.:

setenv PATH /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Applications/ghc-7.8.3.app/Contents/bin

putting a file in /etc/paths.d doesn't have an effect on launchd. Also, launchctl setenv doesn't persist across restarts, and for some reason didn't work even within the same login session.