Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Is GHC necessary if you already have Hugs?

Help
Srinivas
2008-12-04
2012-12-06
  • Srinivas
    Srinivas
    2008-12-04

Trying the "Run As | Run Hugs 98 Session" command but nothing happens. I have set up the Hug preference to point at the Hugs interpreter. I am running Eclipse 3.4.1 on XP SP 2

• Srinivas
      Srinivas
      2008-12-04

Oh, also I assume you need to place everything inside a module called Main or something for "Run" to work?

• I assume hugs works outside of eclipse.
      I had the same problem at first.  I use Ubuntu 8.04, so my problem might be different than yours, and I also do have ghc installed.  Under Window > Preference > FunctionalProgramming > Compiler, I had to make sure it pointed to /usr/bin/ghc for ghc and the same for /usr/bin/hugs for hugs.  I also noticed that every once in a while Eclipse forgets where these are (usually after a couple of workspace switches), so I just go an retype it again.  A little bit annoying, but this is so much nicer an ide than anything else out there, I don't mind at all.

You shouldn't need a main unless you want to compile to source.  If you just want to interpret the file, just run the interpreter and call whatever method you want.