Can't do checkin/checkout on header files

Help
dJango
2012-10-04
2013-04-06
  • dJango
    dJango
    2012-10-04

I have installed this plugin in Eclipse CDT. Everything works fine except the plugin can't perform any ClearCase operations on C header files(the files under "Includes" tab in a C project layout). Note that the mentioned header files are outside of project folder and are version controlled. However, I can do all ClearCase operations if I create a linked resource for the same file.

When I create an include file for the C project, it won't create any entries in ".project" file. However, if I create a linked resource for the same file, there will be a <linkedResource> entry in ".project" file. Could this be the reason I can't do CC operations on Include files?

I think the plugin can only deal with the files inside project directory or the files mentioned in ".project" file as linked resources, is this true?

The behavior is same with the IBM SCM Adpater plugin. Is it possible to make the header files recognizable by ccase plugin ?

• Hi,

I am not sure that I follow. Have you imported an Eclipse project ( C code)? Then you have header files that the project depend on that are stored in clearcase somewhere else.

The only way for clearcase to find your header files in to use linked resources since they are not known to your workspace.

Is it possible to show you project layout and where your includes are stored?

Is it not possible to make a link  to the directory ( in Eclipse) where you have the header files stored? 

File -> New Folder -> <logical name of folder>

Then use "Advanced button" and create the link to the folder were you have the header files.

//mike

• dJango
    dJango
    2012-10-04

Thanks for the help. Yes, I can add a linked folder to the project and ClearCase operations works fine. But the problem is, the linked folder is considered as part of source code, not include files. As a reason, content assist doesn't work on the include files in linked folder. They do work if we attach them as includes. There's a separate tab for includes in a Christian project.

Please see this link:

http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.cdt.doc.user/tasks/cdt_t_proj_paths.htm .

I  really want to show you the images, but I am out of office. I will post them tomorrow.

• dJango
    dJango
    2012-10-04

Sorry in a C project, not Christian project. :-) . Typing this from a PlayBook and the word prediction sucks.

• dJango
    dJango
    2012-10-05

Hello, here is the image that explains the situation.

As said, the problem with adding include files as linked resources is, content assist doesn't work for those files, i.e., when we press ctrl+space for suggestions when adding an include file in a source file, the linked include resources won't show up. However, when we add them in the Eclipse CDT way, they do show up in content assist.

Apart from that, the folder structure is also not elegant when we add linked resources for include files. I don't know if there are any other catches because this method is not Eclipse CDT way of adding include files.

It may not be a C project and CDT, I think, the problem exists when we add external resource to a project, for example, adding an external jar in a java project.

Please confirm this:

Can this plugin identify resources outside project folder that are not linked resources ? Note that those resources are under ClearCase.

Thank you!

• Hi,

No the plugin cannot identify resources outside project folder. They must be linked. How shall they otherwise be connected to project. What if you add the linked files as a depending project?

br,

//mike

• dJango
    dJango
    2012-10-08

For example, if you add an external jar to an Eclipse project (Right Click project -> Build Path -> Libraries -> Add External JARS), nothing will be shown in ".project" file. But, the project is still related to the jar. I think, this information is stored in cache. Same is the case with header files, the information is stored in cache, and I believe its accessible thru some method calls.

There must be some sort of Eclipse API to get all related files(including linked resources, external resources like jars/header files…etc) .

I am trying to look at the source code, but can't clone it.

• dJango
    dJango
    2012-10-08

If you are concerned about Java source code only, do this:

If you don't want to put your source code in the project, you can "link" the source code to the project instead. In that case, you should do the following:

1. Right-click the project, and choose Properties from the context menu.
    2. Select "Java Build Path" from the left-hand side.
    3. Click the "Source" tab along the top.
    4. Click the "Link Source…" button.
    5. Fill out the dialog box, and click the OK buttons.

That should create for you a sort of "virtual" source folder that really points elsewhere on your disk drive.

Now the thing is, although the directory is entered as linked in ".project" file, no individual files are entered into that file. But, the project is still related to that external source. I don't think this plugin will identify those resources in external folder.

• Hi,

Here are my answers:

In a java project dependecies to jar:s are stored in .classpath.
    Check for an dot file (where project is stored) I guess it is where the .cproject file is.
    Even if jar files are stored in cc you never check them out.

br,

//mike