Menu

rest-assured test & Jacoco -> no ...

Help
2012-03-15
2013-04-24
  • lars tore hasle

lars tore hasle - 2012-03-15

We use maven & junit for unittest & integration test & Jacoco & sonar to get codecoverage reports.
    This is setup according to this guide:http://johndobie.blogspot.com/2011/06/seperating-test-code-coverage-with.html
    and it works fine!
    However we have now started to use a new integrationtest framework: rest-assured
    http://code.google.com/p/rest-assured/
    We write junit tests with rest-assured, which makes rest calls to our endpoints (Spring controllers) which we want to be part of the integration test coverage report produced by Jacoco, but when I look in the sonar reports it don't include any coverage for theese tests. Is there a limitation i Jacoco regarding integration with rest-assured? or du we have to do something special in the setup to get it to work?

• Marc R. Hoffmann

We're not aware of specific issues with this test framework. JaCoCo should work with any application deployed to a Java VM.

- Make sure the JVM that runs your tested code (might be a different one from the one that runs the test code in integration test scenarios) has the JaCoCo agent attached
    - Make sure this JVM also properly terminates at the end of the test run (or use JaCoCo's Ant tasks for remote dumps if this is not possible).
    - You can open the generated *.exec file with the EclEmma Eclipse plug-in and check whether data for the classes you expect executed are contained.

Best regards,
    -marc

• lars tore hasle

lars tore hasle - 2012-03-20

Thanks for the feedback

I installed the EclEmma Eclipse plugin and there I am able to see the coverage reports on the tests using the rest-assured framework when run inside the ide.

When I run it via maven (-Pit clean install) I get 2 *.exec files.  When I open the jacoco-it.exec in the ide, it only list the test classes & and NOT the related implementation classes, as it does for the unit test.
    This migth be the problem, but how do I solve it?

• Marc R. Hoffmann

There are two possible reasons:

1) You configured some filter that filters out the implementation classes
    2) The implementation classes are executed in a different JVM