Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Jef Raskin's "zoomWorld"

2011-06-22
2013-04-16
  • Mark McCorkle
    Mark McCorkle
    2011-06-22

Hey Oliver - have you read Jef Raskin's "Humane Interface" yet?  I've been reading it on my train rides into work in the morning, and I'm very impressed both with Raskin's view of the future, and how well Eagle Mode implements some of his zoom world idea.  As I'm using Eagle Mode more and more as my UI for viewing and interacting with my network infrastructure, and I'm missing some of his other ideas (like being able to jump to things based on typing, etc) and I'm nowhere capable enough a programmer to add these features in C++ myself.   If you haven't read the book yet, email me an address and I'll buy you a copy.

• Oliver Hamann
    Oliver Hamann
    2011-06-24

Tanks, I have that book. But I can't remember jumping to things based on typing. Maybe I should have a look into the book again.

• Mark McCorkle
    Mark McCorkle
    2011-06-24

It was done by the jump keys beneath the spacebar on his Canon Cat - and I think it was central to the work that the Raskin Foundation did in Archy (they actually never got to the ZUI that you have so wonderfully done).  After his passing, I think the foundation fell apart and the domain got lost, but I've found the Archy source once before if you want me to dig it up. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archy

Unrelated, Aza (Jef's son) has recently started a new company called Massive Health.