Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

resize2fs time estimate

Help
cuppajoe
2008-04-16
2012-11-28
  • cuppajoe
    cuppajoe
    2008-04-16

Hi,
    I need to extend the filesystem on of our client servers and want to get an estimate of how long the process might take using resize2fs.  The partition is ext3, but was created a while ago and it appears that I can't extend the filesystem live because of this, so will need to take the server offline.
    I'd like to give the client an estimate of how long the process might take.  The current filesystem is approximately 50GB, at 80% capacity.  It will be extended to approximately 200GB.  Will this take an hour or many, many hours?

Thanks!

# when trying to resize online
    above:~# resize2fs -p /dev/md5
    resize2fs 1.40-WIP (14-Nov-2006)
    Filesystem at /dev/md5 is mounted on /var; on-line resizing required
    old desc_blocks = 4, new_desc_blocks = 14
    resize2fs: Filesystem does not support online resizing

# filesystem features of /dev/md5
    Filesystem features: has_journal filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file

• Theodore Ts'o
      Theodore Ts'o
      2008-04-16

To a first order approximation, it's roughly 1.7 the times of an fsck.  Resize2fs requires that you do a freshly checked filesystem, and then resize2fs itself needs to scan through the filesystem to relocate any blocks needed to expand the group descriptor table.  It could take less time, but if you want to be absolutely staff, budget for 2 times a full fsck time.