Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Problems with Perldoc. Perl 5.10.1 on OS X

Help
Anonymous
2009-10-31
2013-05-20

• Anonymous
    2009-10-31

Hello,

I've read a bunch of the posts here about problems with Perldoc - none of them address the problem I'm having. Basically,

OS X 10.5 comes with Perl 5.8.
    I've installed my own localized version of Perl 5.10.1, which I prefer to use for obvious reasons.
    In my .profile file I have a line like so: export PATH=/usr/local/bin:${PATH} which let's me use the newer version of Perl

However, in EPIC, if I leave the Perl executable option set to just 'perl' I get errors when trying to use 5.10 features and EPIC is not able to see the modules that I've installed for 5.10 (e.g., Modern::Perl).

If I change the Perl executable to '/usr/local/bin/perl' the errors about perl 5.10 features or module go away, which is great - but I lose the ability to view / search Perldoc from within EPIC (which is very annoying).

If you have any advise, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mac OS 10.5.8
    Eclipse 3.5
    EPIC 0.6.35

Phillip.

• Jan Ploski
    Jan Ploski
    2009-11-01

When you run the PerlDoc action on function 'print', EPIC executes a snippet of code using the Perl interpreter configured in Preferences. The snippet is as follows:

use Env qw(@PERL5LIB);

splice(@PERL5LIB, 0, 0, @INC);
        exec('perldoc -t -f "print"');

So check that PERL5LIB is set correctly and that the program 'perldoc' from the new Perl installation can be found through PATH of Eclipse. You may want to run this snippet as a script from EPIC and tweak it to output PATH and PERL5LIB to figure out your current settings.