Help
xcalibur
2011-05-02
2013-05-20
  • xcalibur
    xcalibur
    2011-05-02

Hey guys,

I installed EPIC over Eclipse using Help -> Install New Software.
    Everything went well, I tried to make a new project and noticed that Eclipse simply acts as a text editor. There's absolutely no Syntax Check. I edited Perl Executable and pointed out ActivePerl directory yet nothing happens. Also I have no idea on how to run my code as either Run and Runas are empty.

PLEASE help!
    Thanks

• Jan Ploski
    Jan Ploski
    2011-05-02

First check that EPIC is indeed installed under Help > Software Updates > Installed Software (if you can create a Perl project, it is also an indication that the installation succeeded). Second create a test file within a Perl project, like "hello.pl". Try opening it per doble-click and if that doesn't bring syntax coloring, close the file and try opening it with "Open With" from the context menu, choosing "Epic Perl Editor" as the editor type. Finally, check your File Associations under Preferences (*.pl, *.pm should be associated with EPIC).

• xcalibur
    xcalibur
    2011-05-03

Thanks for your reply man.
    I might as well mention that I dont have a "Software Updates" in my "Help" menu.
    Is there a specific release that EPIC works on? I downloaded the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers…could this be the problem?
    Also I dont have EPIC associated in anyway in my system as far as I can tell. Cant refrence it to *.pl etc. It's just not there.

• Jan Ploski
    Jan Ploski
    2011-05-03

It surely sounds as if your installation attempt had failed (you could also check the file workspace/.metadata/.log for pertinent errors).

You haven't mentioned your Eclipse version. EPIC should work with Eclipse 3.2 upwards. The particular distribution shouldn't matter, though it's only tested using "Eclipse Classic".