Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

How to edit Perl file with no extention?

Help
2007-10-11
2013-05-20
  • Mike Blackwell
    Mike Blackwell
    2007-10-11

I have a Perl script file that has no extention (.pl, .pm, etc).  How do I get it to show up in Epic rather than the default Eclipse text editor?

• Jan Ploski
      Jan Ploski
      2007-10-12

• As a workaround:
      right mouse key -> Open With ... -> Other -> Epic Perl Editor
      It will even remember this decision - for this particular file.

• Lance Zant
      Lance Zant
      2008-03-28

Since I only want this for a couple of files, I found that putting the exact file names in the type list does the trick as far as choosing an editor goes.  It apparently causes some confusion inside EPIC, because it disables the "Run" button in the launch dialog.  It does let me apply/save the changes and launch by picking it off the drop-down list, and even step through the debugger.  However, there are some variables I don't see and I have other run-time problems.  I suspect these are unrelated, but I don't know for sure.

Can anyone tell me whether this seems ok or smells like a trap?

• Anthony Ball
      Anthony Ball
      2008-03-31

I actually JUST posted something about this a while ago, though the Open With... -> Other would probably be easier. Unfortunately my eclipse doesn't seem to have the "Other" option under "Open With..."

• Anthony Ball
      Anthony Ball
      2008-03-31