Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Where to put the -d flag

Help
2014-03-27
2014-03-28
  • Web Mayfield
    Web Mayfield
    2014-03-27

Once upon a time I got debugging to work in EPIC by putting a -d flag somewhere. Unfortunately I had to delete Eclipse and reinstall everything, and now I can't figure out where the -d goes. Would someone tell me please?

• Jan Ploski
    Jan Ploski
    2014-03-27

Debugging in EPIC 'testing' (0.6.x, which you should be using) works without putting -d anywhere.

• Web Mayfield
    Web Mayfield
    2014-03-27

I am using the testing branch but unfortunately I am getting the "Unable to connect to remote host: 172.18.1.5:5000" message. I thought before I was able to clear that by adding the -d flag. I find a lot of references to this error but haven't found a definitive fix.

• Jan Ploski
      Jan Ploski
      2014-03-27

Are you really trying to do remote debugging, or does it happen for normal (local) debug sessions? If the latter, I'd first check firewall settings and possibly network configuration. Maybe you have multiple IP addresses configured on the machine and it's connecting not to the one on which the debugger started listening. netstat command can help sort this out.

• Web Mayfield
    Web Mayfield
    2014-03-27

This is on local debugging. What was happening before was that the debugger needed a separate debugging process and that wasn't starting -- adding the -d flag fixed that. Not sure what to do if the -d flag is supposed to be no longer needed. I enabled the debugger console, where can I look to see that output? Maybe I'm on the wrong version of the plugin somehow.

• Web Mayfield
    Web Mayfield
    2014-03-27

Also that 172.x.x.x IP address is not my machine's address, nor is it anywhere on my network as far as I can tell. I don't know where it's coming from.

• Jan Ploski
      Jan Ploski
      2014-03-27

The 172.x.x.x IP is coming from InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostAddress() - this is supposed to return the address of your local machine. Check your network configuration, hosts file etc.

• Web Mayfield
    Web Mayfield
    2014-03-28

That was it! The 172.x.x.x IP was coming from a VPN I forgot I was connected to. When I disconnected from that VPN the debugging started working. Thanks for your help.