Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Undefined subroutine

Help
Anonymous
2013-04-24
2013-05-20

• Anonymous
    2013-04-24

Undefined subroutines are not checked in the editor. Only at compile-time when I run the program.
    How can I change that?

My program is trivial:
    print "Hello?";
    unknown();

Thanks

• Jan Ploski
    Jan Ploski
    2013-04-24

If you want that feature, do not use Perl (or any other language that allows symbols to be defined at runtime).

• Anonymous
    2013-04-25

You mean that this feature is not implemented?

When I press the control key and move the mouse over a define function (I am new to perl and may not use the right terminology) then the function is underlined and I can jump to the definition with ctrl-left mouse click. So there must be a way to see if there is definition for a function.
    Why not give a warning (or underline like in grammar checker) for undefined functions?

• Jan Ploski
    Jan Ploski
    2013-04-25

The navigation works on a "best effort" basis, using a primitive full text search with some assumptions, which is also fairly slow. The underline on CTRL is offered basically for words. EPIC doesn't even have a way of determining which word is a function and which isn't. So it would be rather difficult to do it on-the-fly in the parser/scanner, and the result would be wrong in many cases - it's better not to make such false impressions.

• Anonymous
    2013-04-25

Thank you very much for the detailed and thorough answer. I think I understand now.