Debugger Problem

Help
Sandmaster
2007-12-06
2013-05-20
  • Sandmaster
    Sandmaster
    2007-12-06

Hi, Im trying to get running the Debugger on Windows.

So when i'm starting the debugger I get this:
    Cannot chdir to C:/eclipse/Workspace/Testproj/testrsp.pl: No such file or directory at C:/eclipse/Workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.epic.debug/epic_breakpoints.pm line 76
    Compilation failed in require at C:/eclipse/Workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.epic.debug/perl5db.pl line 5179.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/eclipse/Workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.epic.debug/perl5db.pl line 5179.
    Compilation failed in require.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

and then after some seconds there is a popup which says: Timed out while waiting for Perl debugger Conection.
    The launching-progress is always at 19%
    Now the Versions:
    Perl: This is perl, v5.8.2 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
    Eclipse SDK Version: 3.3.1.1
    I'm not shure if I've done the Installation of CygWin right

So what could be wrong?

• Sandmaster
      Sandmaster
      2007-12-13

nobody can help me?

• Jan Ploski
      Jan Ploski
      2007-12-14

Upgrade ActivePerl to the latest version (5.8.8.822) and try again.

• Jan Ploski
        Jan Ploski
        2007-12-14

Oh, I see you mention using Cygwin. I recommend switching to ActivePerl.

• Sandmaster
      Sandmaster
      2007-12-14

ok thanks
      I installed the new ActivePerl version and had to install PadWalker via ppm and it works

• Jerry Riechert
      Jerry Riechert
      2007-12-19

I'm having a similar problem. Win XP SP2, Perl 5.8.7, PadWalker 1.5, Eclipse 3.3.1.1, EPIC 0.6.13. AFAIK everything is the latest except Perl and I have to stay with that version.

Unable to connect to remote host: 10.25.xxx.xxx:5002
      Compilation failed in require.
      at C:/path to my.pl line 0
          main::BEGIN() called at C:/Documents and Settings/griech/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.epic.debug/perl5db.pl line 0
          eval {...} called at C:/Documents and Settings/griech/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.epic.debug/perl5db.pl line 0
      BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
      at C:/path to my.pl line 0

Followed by the popup.

Any way to get it working without upgrading Perl?

• Jan Ploski
        Jan Ploski
        2008-01-03

Is EPIC running on a machine with multiple IP addresses? Firewall? What does netstat say about the IP address EPIC is listening on (if it succeeds in starting to listen at all)?

• Jerry Riechert
          Jerry Riechert
          2008-01-03

Only one IP address.
          Corporate installed Symantec anti-virus and firewall.
          I don't see anything in netstat having to do with EPIC.

In the EPIC status bar I see Launching xxx.pl: (19%) After a few seconds it fails with "Timed out while waiting for Perl debug connection."

• Jan Ploski
            Jan Ploski
            2008-01-03

Have you run netstat after launching the application in Debug mode? The expected behavior of EPIC is to bind to ports 5000-5003 (not 100% sure about the upper port), and listen to incoming TCP connections from the Perl interpreter process.

I suggest turning off the firewall temporarily to eliminate (or confirm) it as the possible source of problems.

BTW, you can upgrade EPIC to the newest 0.6.x (using Eclipse's Update Manager), even though it is unlikely to solve your problem.

• Jerry Riechert
              Jerry Riechert
              2008-01-03

Definitely no ports in netstat in the 5xxx range before, during or after attempting to start the debugger.

As installed by corporate there's no normal way to stop the Symantec firewall or anti-virus or change program configurations.  As I have local admin rights I was able to stop or kill all the Symantec services and processes except for one anti-virus service. No change in the debugger: it didn't start and no 5xxx ports in netstat.

The Eclipse Update Manager doesn't work for me, I suspect, due to the corporate firewall to the outside world. I had to download and create a local update site to get Epic installed originally. How can I do that for the latest 6.17 version?

• Jan Ploski
                Jan Ploski
                2008-01-04

You can download an update site for 0.6.17 at the following location:

http://e-p-i-c.sf.net/downloads/org.epic.updatesite_0.6.17_20071018.zip

See README.txt contained in the zip file for installation instructions.

• Jerry Riechert
                  Jerry Riechert
                  2008-01-04

Thanks for the link. I've got 0.6.17 installed. Unfortunately no change in the debugger: still get the same timed out error.

I'm wondering if there's a problem with the ports the debugger uses since the first line in the console output is
                  Unable to connect to remote host: 10.25.60.154:5002

Can I specify the ports to be used somewhere? I know when the Symantec software was rolled out some users had problems with ports they were using to access test equipment. I believe the fix required Symantec configuration changes and/or changes to the ports used.

• Jan Ploski
                    Jan Ploski
                    2008-01-05

No new messages in workspace/.metadata/.log with 0.6.17?

The ports are currently not configurable in EPIC. You can test TCP connectivity by trying to bind to the port yourself, e.g. netcat -l -p 5002 in one DOS box, netcat 5002 in another (you can get netcat from http://www.vulnwatch.org/netcat/ or write a simple program that binds and listens to the port).

• Jerry Riechert
                      Jerry Riechert
                      2008-02-05

Nothing is added to the log file. I can't use netcat because the corporate mandated Symantec antivirus flags it. But further use of the netstat options and then tcpview I realized that ports 5000-5003 are tied up with UPD connections for LABView. Since I'm interested in Perl scripts used with LABView applications removing/disabling LABView isn't an option.

• Jerry Riechert
                      Jerry Riechert
                      2008-02-05

I'm able to stop the four LV related services and verified the ports were released. Then I tried to debug a script to see what happened. I see eclipse start a connection to 5002 but it still times out. First line of console output is
                      Unable to connect to remote host: 10.25.60.xxx:5002
                      which is my IP address. Certainly looks like a firewall problem. Too bad I can't turn it off.

• Jerry Riechert
      Jerry Riechert
      2008-01-02

Anyone??

• Drew
      Drew
      2008-01-08

I have this same problem.  Switching off the corporate firewall/antivirus (Proventia) fixes it on my machine.

• TracyLu
      TracyLu
      2008-01-14

Sandmaster (sutera01):
         I had the same problem with you.So,I installed the ActivePerl version 5.8.5.882, but I installed PadWalker via  putting the decompressed PadWalker folder under perl\lib(is it ok?),then I re-installed the EPIC 0.6.3,but there was still the problem.
         Anybody can help me? Thanks very much.