Deubugger cannot start, _abs_path

Help
2007-10-27
2013-05-20
  • Achim Bursian
    Achim Bursian
    2007-10-27

Hi, I just did my firts try to debug a Perl script, but all I get is this:

Bareword found where operator expected at C:/Documents and Settings/ba3759/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.epic.debug/epic_breakpoints.pm line 49, near "$DB::OUT _abs_path"
        (Missing operator before _abs_path?)
    Cannot chdir to D:/Achim/NXwin/devel/nxstart.pl: No such file or directory at C:/Documents and Settings/ba3759/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.epic.debug/epic_breakpoints.pm line 76
    Compilation failed in require at C:/Documents and Settings/ba3759/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.epic.debug/perl5db.pl line 2021.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Documents and Settings/ba3759/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.epic.debug/perl5db.pl line 2021.
    Compilation failed in require.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

What am I missing?

• Jan Ploski
      Jan Ploski
      2007-10-27

Which version of Perl?

• Achim Bursian
        Achim Bursian
        2007-10-27

Sorry, that was quite incomplete :-)

This is perl, v5.8.0 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
        Binary build 806 provided by ActiveState Corp. http://www.ActiveState.com

Win XP, Eclipse Europa, EPIC 0.5.41 (I tried the latest test version first, same results. Then I uninstalled it and installed the stable build)

I called perl.exe with full path in the prefs, it is not in the PATH.

• Jan Ploski
          Jan Ploski
          2007-10-27

The strange chdir message was also reported by someone trying to use Perl 5.6, which is why I asked. I suggest that you upgrade Perl to the current build - it may help (the earliest build I have seen working myself was 813). For debugging with EPIC, definitely use 'testing', not 'stable'.

• Achim Bursian
            Achim Bursian
            2007-10-27

All right, I'll give that a try. Maybe it gets into problems because I have multiple Perl Installations (5.6 and 5.8), and I have the ActiveState PDK 7 installed, which brings its own debugger? Because simply starting perl with -d on a commandline launches the PDK GUI debugger, I think that is because of some Envvar settings.
            Which perl5db.pl do you use in EPIC? Is it taken from the used Perl installation, or an own one?

• Achim Bursian
              Achim Bursian
              2007-10-28

Hi Jan,
              using the newest AS Perl did the trick. I installed it into a second directory and used that for debugging.
              Very cool, thanks.

After playing around with it a bit, I see some parts where enhancement would be good. It happens to be my job for the next time at work to make Eclipse our new IDE, for C++, Perl and Tcl, so I could implement some enhancements. Are you interested in a new dev team member :-) ?
              Tschüß
                -Achim