where are the several features ?

2003-05-15
2003-05-23
  • Olaf Weinert
    Olaf Weinert
    2003-05-15

Hi Folks,
    I'm just starting with eclipse/epic and i'm missing some of the provided features:
    opening a new project and perl-perspective there should be a Module/Sub-Routine overview in the outline-window. But there is'nt any module, even if i used one or more modules.
    The content-assist don't work in my eclipse:

use IO::Socket;
    $socket=IO::Socket::INET->new(LocalPort => 7000,
                                                     Reuse    => 1,
                                                    and so on...);
    $socket-> [here should open the content-assist, but it won't]

Preferences->Perl-epic->Editor: I checked the "show line Numbers" and "Show print margin" but no line-numbers and/or margin is shown.

I'm using eclipse 2.1 (march 2003) under Win2k and Debian Linux 3.0.
    I will be very glad if i can use the full features of epic, 'cause I've searched for a good and free Perl-IDE a very long time. May be you could give some little hints that i can make it work ?
    Thank you,
    Olaf

• Jochen Ruehl
      Jochen Ruehl
      2003-05-15

Hi Olaf,

I tested EPIC with Win2k and Woody. The line numbers and the print margin should work (never heard of any problems with that).
      The content assist and the outline view need some reworking but nevertheless work with your example code.
      Could you please start Eclipse from a shell windows (on Windows please provide -debug as parameter) and have a look if any exceptions are printed on the console.

You can also send me a mail (luelljoc at users.sourceforge.net).

Bye
      Jochen

• Olaf Weinert
      Olaf Weinert
      2003-05-15

Hi Jochen,

there seem to be no exeption starting from a console with -debug:
      --------
      Startup: using configuration file:J:\tools\eclipse\workspace\.metadata\.config\platform.cfg
      Boot URL: file:J:/tools/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.core.boot_2.1.0/boot.jar
      Startup: splash path = J:\tools\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.platform_2.1.0\splas
      h.bmp
      Workspace location:
         J:\tools\eclipse\workspace
      Debug-Options:
          file:J:/tools/eclipse/.options
      Install URL:
          file:J:/tools/eclipse/
      clr:ParserFactory init
      HRCParser count: 1
      ParserFactory count: 1
      clr:BaseEditor init: 1
      -----------------------------------
      The funny thing is: In the Outline-Window sub-routines are shown but no modules.

bye, Olaf

• Olaf Weinert
      Olaf Weinert
      2003-05-15

Hi Jochen,

there seem to be no exeption starting from a console with -debug:
      --------
      Startup: using configuration file:J:\tools\eclipse\workspace\.metadata\.config\platform.cfg
      Boot URL: file:J:/tools/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.core.boot_2.1.0/boot.jar
      Startup: splash path = J:\tools\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.platform_2.1.0\splas
      h.bmp
      Workspace location:
         J:\tools\eclipse\workspace
      Debug-Options:
          file:J:/tools/eclipse/.options
      Install URL:
          file:J:/tools/eclipse/
      clr:ParserFactory init
      HRCParser count: 1
      ParserFactory count: 1
      clr:BaseEditor init: 1
      -----------------------------------
      The funny thing is: In the Outline-Window sub-routines are shown but no modules.

bye, Olaf

• Anonymous
      2003-05-23

I am new to Eclipse also and have a similar problem. Content assist doesn't work, and debug gives the same output as Olaf's (with different drive letters).

Any solutions to this?

BTW: Preferences->Perl-EPIC->Editor: Show line numbers and margins does work (unlike Olaf).

• Jochen Ruehl
      Jochen Ruehl
      2003-05-23

Hi,

Olaf had the problem that he was using the wrong default editor for Perl files. To check if the content assist is working just type Net::SMTP:: and have a look if the content assist is displayed. Is the syntax check working?

Bye
      Jochen