Are contributions welcome ??

2009-06-23
2013-05-20
  • Karl Forner
    Karl Forner
    2009-06-23

Hello,

My previous post that was a first attempt at contributing in EPIC got no reply.
    I am not writing to complain but rather to know what is the development model and status of EPIC.

Are you looking for external contributions ? Is the project alive ? Do you have a roadmap ?

I think a good IDE is very important for the future of a programming language so I'd like to contribute directly or indirectly for good perl support.

Karl Forner

• Jan Ploski
      Jan Ploski
      2009-06-25

I am currently away from my PC, hence the delayed reply. Upload your patch against CVS HEAD to the Patches tracker (in the usual diff format rather than instructions how to modify source code). The project is in a low-effort maintenance mode. I release new versions from time to time (have a look at CVS history). There is no roadmap.

• Karl Forner
        Karl Forner
        2009-07-06

The point is not to criticize, just to know. Contributing to a project takes time, mainly to understand the structure.
        In my previous 'proposal' patch, I wrote that it was not easy to use CVS because of the firewall, and was asking for hints and help for implementing improvements to Epic.

Basically your answer is : use the CVS patch tracker.
        You may understand that does encourage me to spend time trying to improve the project.

Regards,

• Jan Ploski
          Jan Ploski
          2009-07-06

No offense was taken. The firewall should not be a big hindrance. Just check out HEAD once on another machine, then you can simply use diff to create the patch file offline. Because the code base does not change much, you should be able to produce patches repeatedly without having to check out/cvs update each time.