Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Timed out while waiting for perl debugger

2010-10-09
2013-05-20
  • Rob Johansen
    Rob Johansen
    2010-10-09

Hi,

Here's my setup:

Windows XP SP3
    Perl v5.10.0 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
    Epic 0.5.46
    Eclipse 3.6.1

When I attempt to debug a simple perl script, an ActiveState Perl Debugger window appears. Using this separate window, I can step through my code for about 10 seconds until I get the infamous "Timed out while waiting for perl debugger" error from Epic. I do not get any warnings in the console about perl5db.pl. Regardless, I tried patching Cwd.pm but this doesn't fix my problem.

Do I need to disable the ActiveState debugger in order to debug in Eclipse? Anyone else seeing this peculiar behavior?

Thanks,
    Rob

• Rob Johansen
    Rob Johansen
    2010-10-09

Figured out the problem. I have the Perl Development Kit installed, which disables the native Perl command-line debugger and enables an ActiveState graphical debugger. This FAQ on the ActiveState site explains how to revert back to the command-line debugger (which fixed the problem for me):

http://community.activestate.com/faq/restoring-the-native-perl

Hope this helps anyone else who might run into this problem!

• todd
    todd
    2010-10-27

I occasionally have this problem when I'm stepping through my code too fast. I wasn't able to resolve it but as a workaround I found that killing the perl.exe process using windows task manager fixes it until it happens again and I do the same thing over again to reolve it. I hope this helps and please let me know if you find a permanent fix.