Max Width and Max Height ?

2003-01-27
2003-01-27
  • Skybuck Flying
    Skybuck Flying
    2003-01-27

I wonder

What is the maximum height and width in delphi for a console/turbo vision application ?

I know in text it is 80x25 ?

So that would be something like 80*8 = 640
    and 25*16 = 400.

Is this width, height or clientwidth, clientheight :)

• Laszlo Agocs
      Laszlo Agocs
      2003-01-27

A character is sized 8x16 in text-mode.
      So the entire screen size is 640x400.
      This is the size of the desktop. It's like a Windows running in 640x400 resolution.

Of course you have to be careful with setting the form size/position.

• Skybuck Flying
      Skybuck Flying
      2003-01-27

Yep I noticed that.

Some things which are important:

The form size should be a little smaller than 640x480 because of some extra bars in the dos version...

And autoscroll should be off like mentioned in the docs otherwise the form will be minimized or something. ! :)

• Laszlo Agocs
      Laszlo Agocs
      2003-01-27

Well, yes, as you see there are many problems since Turbo Vision was not designed for "GUI-emulation".

BTW in the far future there will be a real graphical interface for DWPL, and so your forms will look like in Windows. (or not :-) (unfortunately nothing has been done so far in connection with this thing)

• Skybuck Flying
      Skybuck Flying
      2003-01-27

How was DWPL created ?

If it can do text based GUI's then doing graphical GUI's should be possible too :)

I know a little bit about the GUI things in Delphi...

I think the use like windows drawing routines, like GDI or something... so emulating GDI could work.

Then the delphi code can be used without having to re-write much ?

That's the first approach I would take/investigate...

I don't know (yet) how dwpl does it :)

• Laszlo Agocs
      Laszlo Agocs
      2003-01-27

Look at the sources :-)

We have a heavily modified port of Turbo Vision.
      Plus we have a modified version of CLX (everything what's not available with DOS (calls to the qt library, etc.) is commented out)
      Then there's a layer, the unit named WQ.
      Since the CLX source does no real I/O, it only calls the functions of qt, we "translate" these calls for Turbo Vision.

Naturally we could do the GUI with gdi32.dll, user32.dll, etc. emulation but it's a bit difficult.

Oh well, the best way of doing the text-mode UI is this.

About the graphical thing we only have plans (and dreams and wishes :-)

• Laszlo Agocs
      Laszlo Agocs
      2003-01-27

Goodbye now, I must take the dog for a walk...

• Laszlo Agocs
      Laszlo Agocs
      2003-01-27

but now I'm back.

Please note that DWPL is much more than this "CLX-TV conversion layer", it contains modified version of the entire D6 runtime library. Plus as you can see there are a bunch of useful units for doing low-level DOS stuff.
      (as you could see you cannot even use SysUtils with D6 and recent WDOSX versions without DWPL)
      Plus we provide protection for the GetMem-bug! (at least we hope that the protection works :-)

And the Win32 API emulator (the .WDL files) is heavily extended since WDOSX 0.97 beta 1 (so these files are unofficial), for example kernel32.wdl now provides automatic long filename support for your DOS program if it runs under Win9x/2000/XP.

Did you check out the "DWP-Bazaar" at www.dwp42.org ? Unfortunately the development activity is very-very low there at the moment. It hosts some Delphi+WDOSX-related "projects". (*ahem* snippets would be a better description)
      This will hopefully change with the release of the TCP/IP stack.

I hope that the "Service Pack" worked fine and now you are able to compile the demo programs.

BTW did you try any DWPL programs in pure DOS? I hope that they work there too... :-)