2.5.2 Image choice for episode button reverts to original when I edit the next image button

Help
columbia93
2013-09-27
2013-09-30
  • columbia93
    columbia93
    2013-09-27

I downloaded 2.5.2 yesterday when my previous version quit working. Don't like it and wish I could remember what version I was using.

I mainly use this program to create DVDs from series I tape from TV. I generally create a vmMenu with a video I create from the series, then have a second menu for the Image buttons and titles. With this version, I go in to the Properties to change the image I want to show on the button and, first off, there is an error with the aspect the video is now showing in this edit. It used to be the same aspect as the video but it is now 4:3, even though the video is 16:9, as are my defaults. I make my selection and choose OK and everything looks fine on the menu. THEN, I click on the next image button and the button I just changed reverts back to the original image pre-edit.

I also want to add that I'm not crazy about the chapter menu that comes up on Properties with the video. Used to be all I had to do was click on 1 button and I had the menu with the chapters that I could change AND I knew exactly how long the video was so I could create a new chapter at the end to let the viewer skip to the end. Now I have to click on another button-which took a bit to locate-and I still can't see how long the movie is. I understand where you guys were going with this but it isn't necessary. Those who use this function can see where the chapter starts just by clicking on that chapter in edit. The image is so small it's basically irrelevant.

Again, this is just a annoyance because it seems like a step backward, especially since it is actually adding steps and now lacks pertinent information. The huge problem is the image button not retaining the edited image. It is rendered these buttons virtually useless.

• Alex Thuering
      Alex Thuering
      2013-09-29

Hi, unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the error with reverting of button image. Do you use Windows version of DVDStyler?
      I the last versions I changed image buttons so that image is always correct resized with keeping aspect ratio now. But if you want that a button will be resized to display a whole image than select "keep aspect ratio" for button size.

• columbia93
        columbia93
        2013-09-30

I've no idea what you're talking about and I might - perhaps - get to it sometime but I'm sick to death of uninstalling, reinstalling, cleaning, etc. As I said, I was trying to create a DVD for a series and was on the 2nd disk AND using a saved .dvds file so not sure why I'd have to change the buttons, especially since the buttons are 16:9 aspect and the video showing on the button is in 4:3, with black bars on each side to compensate for the wrong aspect. Sorry but it's late, I'm tired AND I'm sick of dealing with this problem, which happens every few months when I run into problems with DVDStyler (out of the blue) and I have to either update or reinstall. My hard drive is now full because I can't get these recordings done and I'm just exhausted and testy.

• columbia93
    columbia93
    2013-09-27

I'm obviously going to have to go back to a previous version - have to try and find one first!

Update: I tried updating to the newest beta version and it is also not changing the image. However, I noticed when I went back in to Properties, the program thinks it is on the image I chose. I went ahead and ran the Styler and have another problem....the resulting video will not play in my Windows Media Player. I've never had that problem before.

So, the image tabs aren't fixed and this new issue...

• columbia93
    columbia93
    2013-09-27

I removed the latest version and installed 2.4.3. This is having the same issue as above - the image buttons aren't maintaining the image. Apparently I need to go further back... And, in case you're wondering, I already created and burned the first "disk" of this series earlier today. I save the dvds file so nothing changed, other than the program not working and me installing a more recent version. In the past, I've had the Styler quit working for no apparent reason and have to reinstall to get it to work so that part isn't new. I just, unfortunately, didn't keep track of the version I was using and didn't keep the executable on hand just in case. Live and learn.

• columbia93
    columbia93
    2013-09-27

2.3 Image thumbnails work but I got a "Fail" when I tried to create the DVD...

• columbia93
    columbia93
    2013-09-28

I then tried to create a movie DVD and also got a fail. I upgraded to 2.4.3 and got the same fail. I can't burn with Windows DVD maker because that particular movie is too long. I then tried to create another recorded movie and got the fail - the fail seems to come pretty early in the process, regardless which movie or series I try. Anyway, that movie is under 2 hours so I used Windows Movie Maker and, voila!... the movie burned just fine using that program.

I tried running the series episodes through Movie Maker again because I find DVDStyler can be a bit touchy and does not accept most of the formats it says it does. I always use .wmv, whether I converted using Movie Maker or Freemake Video. This did not change the result. I also tried it with and without an intro movie because I've also found that DVDStyler is touchy about whether or not it will accept videos. Again, same results.

As I said in my initial post, I had just finished creating a DVD for episodes 1-3 and this problem came about when I tried to convert 4-6 and DVDStyler quit working, and I stupidly updated to the current non-beta version thinking that would cure the problem. I've cleared the registery, installed earlier versions, installed later versions, etc., and now I have nothing...again. THIS is exactly why, when I finally get this program to work I try to NOT do anything else. The moment I start having problems and have to fiddle/upgrade, I no longer have use of the program for weeks, until my fiddling finally gets it to work.

• columbia93
    columbia93
    2013-09-30

Yes, Windows version of DVDStyler. Doesn't much matter because it is useless at this time....regardless the version....as you can see from the many posts unaddressed above. It seems that DVDStyler corrupts very easily and then it becomes garbage. I've been using it for a few years and each time I upgrade, it seems like I go through this ridiculous period of the thing not working. I've learned long ago to clear the registry, although I'm not comfortable with just going in and getting rid of references without knowing exactly what, if anything, should be left. Perhaps you need to develop a program that will uninstall it cleanly - EA did that for The Sims 2 because of all the problems with having to reinstall and problems sometimes happening because the uninstall doesn't cleanly uninstall.